Waterlogged, clay soil - sump drilling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short - newbuild House in 2014, due to heavy clay soil, during the past 3 winters the bottom half of garden has become very very boggy, lots of moss growing and lawn is unusable.

Have tried hollow tine aeration, top dressing with sand etc, with little difference. So decided I would dig a few sumps using an 8” Petrol driven auger, with the plan being to fill them with stones, then top off with topsoil and seed.

However, I’ve drilled three holes, each about 12-18” deep. The clay was very heavy, even stopping the auger turning several times. To test what the drainage was like, I emptied a gallon of water into each hole yesterday evening, and was dismayed to see how slowly they drained (if it all).

So, filling with stones/sand is unlikely to help the waterlogging if the ground is this impermeable. So what next? Any advice appreciated.

These photos were taken this morning, after ~12h of “drainage time”

EA250331-C6EC-4CC2-BC00-E6B66B537B93.jpeg E378A6A3-5C6A-4F11-8AF6-43E58C78181D.jpeg 14343B65-A2AF-4FA1-97EC-FF0C994D6C38.jpeg 5B4A08FE-FC68-46EA-847A-788EAC519DC5.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I can't suggest much about the soil type, but the obvious thing to do is dig the holes much deeper and see if it drains any better. Should be able to get to a metre deep with shuvholers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back