Waterlogged garden due to natural water springs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Half of my garden is flagged, the other half turfed. The problem is the slabs are always covered in about an inch of water and my turf is always waterlogged. I know there is a natural spring that runs the whole width of the garden towards the rear. Also the soil is heavy clay. Everyone in the street has the same problem.

Prior to laying my turf I brought the height up of my garden with 3 tonnes of top soil and sand. Under the flagged area I also put a soakaway in. I know now that soakaways do not work where the water table is too high - in this case because of the spring.

I was planning to install french drains to solve the waterlogged lawn issue leading to a sump and pump system under the flagged area, getting rid of the failed soakaway. I have a submersible water pump that I drop in a 3 ft hole that I dug. It shifts the water to the surface water drain in about 15 minutes but it is back to how it was an hour later. I have nowhere else to drain the water.

Any other suggestions or am I onto the right track? No pond. No bog garden as I have young kids. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you sure you have a spring

as you say you have heavy clay soil, well heavy clay soil doesn;t drain - well

so it could look like you have a spring, but actually you have a lot of standing water on top of the clay

so it could look like you have a spring, but actually you have a lot of standing water on top of the clay

The area is known for springs. When we put a fence in, we dug down for the post and water started shooting upwards like a tap. It was as thick as your finger. Some neighbours are even getting water in their house.

Sponsored Links

The area is known for springs. When we put a fence in, we dug down for the post and water started shooting upwards like a tap. It was as thick as your finger. Some neighbours are even getting water in their house.

If that would have happend to me, i would have thought i had hit a pipe

I will be honest i have never seen springs that powerfull, but everything is possible

I have no idea with so much spontanious water what would work in your garden

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back