Waterlogged Garden - Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have recently moved into a new property and the garden is so waterlogged that it is impossible to do anything at the moment.

The property next door is higher than ours with a level garden where as ours is a graduated slope from the top right hand corner down to the level of the house. We have the standard patio slabs running across the back of the house and it is here that we have the main problem.

The water builds up along the patio edge where it just sits. If you dig down then it is about 6 inches until you reach a solid base (the amount to dig down varies on different points in the garden so I think there is a
level...ish concrete base).

I appreciate that all builders do these days is dump a load of top soil out there, but, is there anything we can do from a 'rights' point of view to make the builder rectify the drainage issue.

If not, what sort of cost would I be looking at to have someone come in and fix the problem.

Thanks in advance

Julie

Sponsored Links
I have a very similar problem but mine is at the end of the garden as the ground slopes downward away from the house.

This was the response I got from my builder (Persimmon Homes); '[Your garden] is clay based and the situation you describe with the ground it is a natural occurrence and no extra drainage is necessary'.

Julie, if you have a new build with a NHBC warranty it might be worth contacting them. I'm pretty sure that the builders should ensure surface water drains away adequately regardless of soil type. NHBC were very helpful with another problem I had.

I'm going to research my problem and see if it is the builder's responsibility to rectify it.

I'm surprised you've found a solid concrete base under the soil. I would have expected a stone aggregate to be there.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I am not entirely sure if the base is concrete, it sure seems solid when digging down though!!

I have just called the NHBC to see if the builder is responsible or not and they said that a garden should not become waterlogged and usually the drains are the problem.

I was advised to talk to the builder and see if they will rectify the problem, if not, or if not satisfactorily then to contact them again to start a resolution process.

Why can't things just be simple!!! :(

hmmm...surprise surprise the site manager is not returning my calls.

I have now constructed a lenghty letter to the director. Let's see if that sparks any action as they have been good with problems to date!

Sponsored Links
I have recently moved into a new property, 2013 and the garden is so waterlogged that it is impossible to plant anything or walk towards the rear of the garden.

The water builds up at the rear fence and around the rear lawn. I dug down 10 inches and it just filled up with water. All the soil is saturated and it looks like quicksand, nothing will grow. The fence posts will rot quickly at this rate I am sure.
They have dug a trench and laid piping but is has not solved anything and they now refuse to accept there is still a problem. The site manager agrees it is not right, the sales rep on the development says it is unacceptable but the main customer service person in York will not accept there is a problem!!

Is there anything we can do from a 'rights' point of view to make the builder Barratt rectify the drainage issue?

Terry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back