Waterproofing Brick Flowerbed

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a new brick flowerbed built against my newly stuccoed garage. I'd like to know the best way to waterproof it before adding soil/planting.

The bed is 1' high and I'd like to fill it at least 8" with soil and put in plants, incl. drip system.

I've been advised to 1) Use stucco sealer on stucco 2) Red Guard entire inside of planter walls 3) Install two drains/pipes level to garage foundation with pipes leading down the hill of the lawn toward the street away from the garage

My mason already left some gaps in the mortar to allow for water drainage.

Questions: Do I also need a gravel French drain along the length of the garage-side wall? Do I really need drain pipes if the water will drain through the mortar gaps? Do I need an air barrier /gap wall on top of it all? Please advise.

Attachments

• IMG_8192.jpg
    IMG_8192.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_8193.jpg
    IMG_8193.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 150
Sponsored Links
I personally wouldn't put a flower bed alongside a wall that is (or looks like) it is solid and no cavity! You will have a few problems with trying to make it water tight as the amount of soil or earth that you fill it with will absorb and hold a lot of water, Especially with the weather we have now I would of addressed the problem of damp getting thru the wall and made sure it ran away from the building. I would of made a flower bed in the garden away from the garage or house!! Be interesting to see how the lads would deal with this problem...

I agree with Roy, never put soil etc up against a single/non cavity wall, even with a membrane up against the wall. I also think the wall you've had built with the red brick will never look good because of the "white salts" that are coming out of the bricks themselves.

Thanks guys – you can see from the pictures attached what I already have so what I would really like is solutions to how to fill this with dirt or maybe I should only fill it with a little bit of dirt. Already sounds like I should put in a barrier wall to solve the issue and red guard the whole interior and have a couple of drainpipes toward the street. Does that sound right?

Sponsored Links
I'm with Roy and rc before I moved into my house there was a similar wall against my brick built shed it caused the wall to be damp, I think your flowerbed is going to undermine the integrity of the wall I've also watched the stucco sealer in action and its supposed to let the wall breathe but I think putting soil against the wall will stop that from happening causing more trouble than its worth you also say the wall is brick but the bottom is block after a few months of weathering its going to look awful not a very good idea tbh

3 answers all the same off lads who know what they are talking about. We have given you our answers and I don't think we can add any more..Best of luck with it....

With all due respect, folks, I haven't heard any solutions - just been told why it would not work. Since I'm not going to remove the brick flower bed I'd like to know how to best make it work. Certainly there's a best approach.

With all due respect, folks, I haven't heard any solutions - just been told why it would not work. Since I'm not going to remove the brick flower bed I'd like to know how to best make it work. Certainly there's a best approach.
Not sure anyone wants to give advice on something they see as something that's going to fail or cause problems but if you really want to go ahead you could get some roofing slate to act as a DPM and run it along the wall and drill proper weep holes , even having those bricks flush to the wall can cause you problems though ,come back here in a couple of years and tell us if you have had any problems

Can I suggest if you want to fill that area you have created with plants then leave them in clay pots and that way you can save yourself the inevitable damp issues.

Thank you for the roofing slate and flowerpots idea. Maybe then just build big cedar box within the planter would work as well, leaving say a 1 inch gap, and fill the gap with gravel perhaps?

I'm already assuming I will have moisture issues. I just want to minimize. That being said the wife wants the planter box! :)

If flowerbed is used as flowerbed its decorative and the bricks serve a purpose If using boxes you may as well just have boxes

I don't have boxes. I have an existing newly-built brick flowerbed. I just want the best way to protect the garage wall and brick/cinderblock bed interior - not every reason why it cannot be utilized. I want to know – and this will be my last attempt in this group – what is the best way to protect my garage while still utilizing my brick flowerbed. Pictures are attached.

So far I had two good suggestions: roofing membrane against my garage, and using flowerpots. I would like a more comprehensive solution but will take all I can get. I can't be the only one who has done this, and with some success. And it certainly cannot be impossible to do what is needed to protect the garage wall and have a successful dirt-filled brick flowerbed. Now please, any replies, I just need solutions not more reasons why it cannot be done. Thank you all.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back