WB DT10 digistat Mark 2 - fault and fuming!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning - hope someone can assist!

Recently the above (which is under 2 yrs) has been recording an incorrect room temp of 23 degrees - infact, its stuck at this reading. Unfortunately, this means that the boiler (greenstar 30 cdi?) Doesn't kick in. The only way to get heat is to urn the stat up to 30!

Rang WB this morning who were no help (no disrepect intended) told me that's what extended warranties are for!!

My query is:

A. Is it dead (they seem to think so)
B. Is it worth replacing with the same model(not inclined)
C. Is there another model which is compatible with the boiler - any recommended models)
D. Should I go back to the mechanical equvalent - any recommendations

I'm so mad as I'm trying to make the house warmer, more economical to run before the big freeze kicks in.

Of the gentler persuassion (not being sexist and apologies for anyone's perception), just want some plain, simple advice.

Regards in advance.

Sponsored Links
I can't help with the technical side of your question, but with regards to the failure of the item within 2 years, I can help clarify your rights.

I'm going to assume that you bought the item from a merchant - not WB directly - in which case your contract of sale was with the merchant (you have no contract with WB).

The sales of goods act protects UK consumers in that goods sold in the UK must be of a level of quality defined as of merchantable quality. Goods sold which do not comply with the sale of goods act could result in fines levied against the store manager etc.

The definition of merchantable quality is as follows:-
"Merchantable quality is an implied condition respecting the state of goods sold in the course of business. Such goods should be as fit for their ordinary purpose as it is reasonable to expect, taking into account any description applied to them, the price (if relevant), and all the other relevant circumstances."

So basically I would go back to the merchant who sold you the room stat and argue that it is reasonable to expect a room stat to have a life expectancy considerably longer than 2 years - hence the goods sold to you were not of merchantable quality - and hence they have not complied with the contract of sale.

If they agree that the goods were not of merchantable quality then you are entitled to a full refund or exchange (your choice).

The merchant might argue that 2 year plus lifespan is an unreasonable expectation - hence why they provide additional warrenty options. However, would WB support this? Such a claim would make them a laughing stock! I'd then try and get WB to put in writing that the item should be expected to last longer than 2 years - and then use that to support your claim.

Still, if theemetchant continued to disagree with your "reasonable expectations" then you'd need to go legal via small claims court etc which probably isn't worth it.

These are your statutory rights (i.e. the rights that are always said to be unaffected when companies try to tell you they don't provide refunds). This is why I never take out extended warrenties - because the law provides reasonable protection.

I had a LCD monitor which failed after in under two years. So I went back to the suppliers (a well known chain) and asked for a replacement. I was told I would have to contact head office and provide evidence as to why it had failed.

I managed to locate a firm (via the net) who repaired LCDs, so I contacted them and asked how much it was to diagnose the fault and rectify it. The cost was not exorbitant - much less than a new monitor - and it came with a three month guarantee.

So I packed the monitor up and sent it off. A few days later I had an email saying that one of the components had overheated due to insufficient ventilation. (I could believe that as there were no ventilation holes!).

I immediately forwarded the email to the original supplier, who replied saying that they would cover the cost of diagnosis and repair, as well as postage costs (which were more than the repair cost).

Trading Standards - at your local Council - are a good place for advice on consumer rights etc.

Sponsored Links
Thank you D_Hailsham and Texasholden for your respective replies. Not sure if I can find the receipt to verify time and proof of purchase but will try. I will also see whether I can find anyone on the net who potentially can repair the unit. Texasholden can you provide a cryptic clue as to who (I don't think the site would allow direct 'naming'.

Thanks again to you both.

Any other thoughts from members, welcomed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back