WB Greenstar 30CDi Top Up Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have recently had a Greenstar 30CDi installed (professionally) and it is working well. When it was installed I had one of my radiators off the wall due to redecorating. I put the radiator back on tonight, connected, bled, all well. The pressure in the heating loop had dropped a little so I thought I'd top it up. I read the manual and ran through the steps once, and it was all fine. I then went round the house and bled the radiators. Decided to top the system back up a little to take it back to 1.2-1.5 ish and that's when problems set in. Here's what I did:
1) Inserted key into little hole
2) Turned about a 1/4 turn clockwise (looking from bottom)
3) Turned valve next to it a little
4) Heard water go and checked gauge till it read 1.5 or just under
5) Turned white vale back off again (water sound stopped)
6) Attempted to take key out
WATER GUSHING OUT!
7) Put key back in to stop water flow

Now clearly I've done something wrong, but I have no idea what. I did the same the second time as I did the first time, but this time I can't take the key out without showing everywhere with water. Most disturbingly, if I edge the key out, water seems to be coming out of the filling loop upwards :(

If anyone has any clues where along the line I've been an idiot, I'd be very grateful.

TIA

Peter[/b]

Sponsored Links
Got to be the worst design for a filling loop I've ever come across. I'm a Worcester Bosch approved installer and I simply throw them away! :rolleyes:

If you look closely you will see a small padlock symbol on the the heating side with a locked and unlocked padlock ,you need to turn the key to the locked padlock position before withdrawing it. Very difficult to see to be honest ,use a torch.

Thanks for your reply. I got the torch out and I see the symbols, the only problem is that they doesn't seem to want to come out in the padlock closed position, it only wants to come out in the padlock open position. That seems really odd. The padlock open position was the one I put it in to, then I turned it to lock the key in place (padlock closed). Nothing seemed particularly stiff, so it seemed the right thing to do.

Just to clarify: when I'm looking at it, I see the open padlock symbol on the left, and the closed one on the right.

What do you think I'm doing wrong?

Peter

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony, that's a great document - very clear.

I can confirm that I am following those instructions to the letter, and I still have the problem.

Is there any hope?

Thanks Tony, that's a great document - very clear.

I can confirm that I am following those instructions to the letter, and I still have the problem.

Is there any hope?

You might have to get someone out to install a proper filling loop (£10 plus an hour's labour) and remove the WB integral one. I have the brass plugs ( I think) if you don't have them.

Regards,

Tony.

PS, have you withdrawn the key completely? It may be that there is just a small amount of water in the filling loop either that or the valve is jammed open on the heating side.

PPS if the boiler is still under WB warranty then give them a call.

If I attempt to withdraw the key I get a blast of pretty high pressure water which doesn't stop until I put the key back in. After testing this, I can see that the pressure in the heating loop has dropped, so I suspect that you are right, and that the valve on the heating side is jammed open.

The boiler was only installed a month ago and is under warranty, so I have given our installers a call to see what they can do. Infact, as they took a while to invoice us (the invoice only came through last week) I haven't paid them yet (there are a few other things outstanding too) so I guess that might encourage them to help ;)

Thanks for your advice, it's looking like this hasn't been caused by negligence on my part, so I'm happy about that :unsure:

Peter

sounds like you just havent turned off the 'fill' part of the loop. is the boiler pressure still rising or hit 3 bar yet if so youve not yet turned it off. though it could also be the loop.

Thanks for your suggestion. No, the pressure isn't rising and I have made sure that the fill valve is fully closed. Also, as I said in my post above, when I remove the key and water pours out, the pressure in the heating loop drops, so I'm not sure it could be anything but a problem with the non-return valve in the filling loop. Or have I missed something?

i realised after i posted that you'd said you could hear no more water entering. just get wb out to change the loop. its a simple job for em. personally having owned 2 and repaired countless wb's that ive never had many issues withthe loops on these.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back