WC disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please me gentle with me! I've screwed up pretty badly and I'm way out of my depth.

We were redoing the bathroom, it was meant to be a straight swap old for new stuff (DIY), then having it skimmed and retiled properly.

Two things went wrong, first I decided I really wanted a wall hung toilet, and then we discovered a major problem with the drains which meant we had to have a new soil stack fitted.

The drain guys have fitted the new soil stack, and my measurements were totally wrong, and now I can't connect the toilet. OH is furious, because he didn't want me to buy the new loo in the first place, and until I figure a way to connect it, we've got no toilet. Because of the extra cos of the drains (and the new toilet) we are skint now, so I really really don't want to have to call a plumber, but I don't know what to do.

If I've done this right there should be a picture here
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/doolally.girl/Pics#5358401197453121938

The pipe on the left is the old soil pipe (which has gone now) the one on the right is the new one. Ignore all the white pushfit stuff, that's just a temporary water supply. You can just see the edge of the toilet frame in the pic.

The frame is meant to go on the wall where the old pipe was, and discharge horizontally straight into the new one.

But it's out by about 10cm
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/doolally.girl/Pics#5358401312366572418
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/doolally.girl/Pics#5358401273367881554

I can't move it more than a few cm left, so there isn't enough space to get a long flexi connector in.

I could turn the WC 90 degrees so it is against the wall with the new pipe, like this
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/doolally.girl/Pics#5358401240610325090

but I don't know if I can do that. It would mean a right angle bend at the back of the pan, and then another right angle into the soil pipe, it's bossed into the soil stack immediately on the other side of the wall. Is it OK to have 2 bends like that?

Also, what would I use to connect them together, can I just use a single socket bend, like you use outside, so it would be something like this

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/doolally.girl/Pics#5358401340744142146

But joined up properly obviously.

I'm clutching at straws really.

Please, can anyone help? :(

Sponsored Links
You have two choices:-

1. Turn the frame onto the other wall, i.e. basically as you've illustrated in photo #5. You can't use that 110° bend though - you need a bent pan connector, for example a Multikwik MKB21 or MKB21104.

2. Buy a pair of extensions for the top studs, which will allow you to move the frame 10am away from the wall and thus align with the new soil pipe. Geberit offer these extensions as an option for your frame.

Thank you so much for your reply.

The black pipe is the one that comes with the frame, it's got a piece that you use to make it connect to the soil pipe, so it would fit into the bend (I think).

The frame is made by Grohe, can I still use Gerberit extensions on it? Is there anywhere I can buy them in a store, or do I have to order them online from somewhere?

If I could extend it by 10cm that would be perfect.

I can't believe I've done this I feel so stupid. :cry:

if you place it as pic 2 put the short peice you got with it to go onto the black waste that enables it to join a 110mm soil connector
then fit a 90 degree bend onto your soil pipe in the wall.
the grey one just needs cutting back when you have measured how much to cut off.

Sponsored Links
I believe the part number of the extension rod set is 111.887.00.1.

I'm sure that your frame supplier can obtain this for you, or try Googling that part number.

seco services, that's what I was trying to do, but it sounds like I have the wrong sort of 90 degree bend. So to do that I would need to get a bend like Goldberg linked to, and not just a normal soil pipe bend?

Goldberg, thanks, there are some on ebay. So I will try them. I got the frams from screwfix, but they only seem to sell Grohe, not Gerberit. As long as the Gerberit bolts will fit, I don't suppose it matters.

you don't use pan connectors on wall hung frames.

you've got the adaptor that fits into 110mm connectors and onto your black waste.

So basically, I can use the bits I've already got? Cut the grey pipe back a little, fix the black 90 degree bend to it, and then attach the black pipe from the back of the frame into the black bend, using the widget that came with the frame?

That would give me a usable loo while I wait for the extension bolts to arrive!

try your adaptor on your 90 bend.
why do you need extensions ? never used them yet.

theres enough room on the frames to run your 110mm waste behind.
90 bend onto your grey waste.
just measure how much needs cutting of grey waste then fit 90 bend
adaptor onto your frames waste join the two together.

you can shorten the black waste pipe aswell.

The extension bolts would let me fit it to the other wall, where it's supposed to be. It would be easier and neater to have it on that wall, but I can't do it unless I can pull the frame out about another 10cm.

I'm off to try the adapter now!

ok get the extension bolts. then you won't need the bend then just a coupler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back