WC flush systems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What the requirements these days regarding the flush on the WC.
Are they all dual flush water saving cisterns and push button function?

Sponsored Links
I think, off the top of my head. You should always use water saving flushes. Some older toilets will not work if you install these though. So if its a new toilet always a water saver if older try a water saver but be aware you may have to change again.

Sponsored Links
You need to ensure the toilet will work with a reduced flush. Had to replace an entire toilet for a mate after he got a plumber out to sort out the issue with his flush. Plumber (qualified, long time established) charged a fortune and fitted a flush not suitable for the toilet. Therefore the water would not flush anything away and would often rise up in the pan.

It will be a new WC that is being installed, just seems that all most all are now push button rather than lever/handle flush, with water saving flushes.
What is the requirement for flushing capacities?
I remember the old cisterns allowed for a 9l flush, then I believe it went down to 7l. Is it something like 4l now for a full flush?

Most new loos will work to 6/4. 6 litres full flush, 4 litres for number ones or small poos.
You are not allowed to fit a new loo with greater than a 6 ltr flush.
I could sell one, but it's against regs to fit them. (1999-ish) More UK legal logic!

Loos are available in the UK nowdays that will work to 4/2.5.....if you look hard enough. In Scandinavia they are the norm.

Therefore the water would not flush anything away and would often rise up in the pan.
Sounds like an old syphonic WC - so a new £60 bog in a box using 6 litres or less is actually not a bad solution . Whole job for a Ton inclusive, knowing Naz. ;)

Had to replace an entire toilet for a mate after he got a plumber out to sort out the issue with his flush. Plumber (qualified, long time established) charged a fortune and fitted a flush not suitable for the toilet.
You're my hero Naz. Remind me again why these qualified, long time established plumbers:
(a) Don't want to take you on, and
(b) Are "long time" and "established" and trading effectively.

Naz, if he was your mate, why didn't he ask you first???????? :confused:

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Answers on a postcard

Andy

Simple reason was his dad got his mate to come and sort the toilet. Didnt bother asking the son if he knew anyone.

So yet again i have had to correct a job which was bodged up by an experienced plumber who charged £100 to change a blooming flush which turned out to be unsuitable for the toilet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back