WC Water connection and drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I hope some of you can help me. I'm an interior design student at university and, wanting to be a more hands on designer, have also taken a plumbing module. My assignment needs me to research some common market trends in the UK (assigment is on new trends like wall hung toilets in bathrooms)

I need to know:
Fresh water connection: Majority side or bottom
Where is the drainage located: Floor or wall
If floor, what is the distance from the middle of the floor drainage to the wall

Haven't been able to find an answer online and so was hoping to get a sample of 10 professionals

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you

Mccartney100

Sponsored Links
1 bottom ......2 floor.....3 :?: Have you tried Killroy and Dosh bathrooms or Bigbones of Exeter (tho` they might be kitchens :oops: )

3) distance can vary but a pretty common measurement is 150mm from wall to centre of drain pipe.

Sponsored Links
Water connection, most seem to be bottom entry now, probably for aesthetic reasons. However side entry cisterns still available if required, replacements for existing low level cisterns usually.

Drainage depends on location of WC, upstairs usually horizontal, pipe is going to the stack boxed in a corner, or through the wall to an external stack. Ground floor may go into the floor, connected directly to the drain, or to a stub stack in a corner, so initial run is (almost!) horizontal.

Position of drainage in the floor depends on age of property. The older low level pans had a flush pipe connecting the cistern to the pan, often when replacing with a new close coupled pan, you find the cistern sits away from the wall so either a shelf is fitted behind to close the gap and fix the cistern, or a 'swan neck' connector is used to get the pan sitting further back and the cistern to the wall. I know of one house where the soil pipe is probably 200mm from centre to wall, have changed the cistern, rather wondering what to do should they require a new pan.....

one tip try put toilet as close to soil stack as pos seen 1 or 2 soil pipe runs
in new builds what run at very shallow decline
but in same build bath and shower ran upwards not sure how the plumber thought that was going to work

i assumed he would be designing up to date things

I didnt like to assume. :) If they let this lot loose on a conversion of an older building anything could happen..... ;) Current trend round here seems to be converting redundant shoe factories into luxury flats....

I suppose though they'd have new drainage installed, and necessary stacks provided to suit new bathroom locations. :oops:

Cheers everyone. I am looking at both new builds, renovation and commercial applications (not much then :eek: ) so all of this is great. I have spoken to a couple of manufacturers regarding aesthetics but i knew it was best to come to the guys who actually do the work to see how the picture really lies with installation.

Thanks for all this

one tip try put toilet as close to soil stack as pos seen 1 or 2 soil pipe runs
in new builds what run at very shallow decline
but in same build bath and shower ran upwards not sure how the plumber thought that was going to work
He was gas safe ...and gas can go upwards :LOL: He also had all the tickets and workwear for site work :rolleyes: so DON`T DISS HIM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back