weak mortar under roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The mortar below the tiles on my eaves is very dusty and weak. Some of the metal clips which retain the tile edges are loose.

I am inclined to give a generous coating of PVA to hopefully strengthen the mortar and force a bit of extra mortar in the gaps around the clips.

The only alternative seems to be to scrape out existing mortat to the depth of the clips and then refill....not a lot of fun as roof is high.

Any views? The hose is very exposed to wind and rain.

Sponsored Links
Like you say the only lasting way is to rake out the loose mortar and repoint the verge with a good strong mortar, generally 3:1 ( 3 sand / 1 cement ) for roof work.

You can get Uni-Dry Verge which you fit on the end instead of mortar,not sure how they are fitted though.
dovetail-pic23.jpg
Fail2.gif
uni_dry_verge.jpg

To fit the Dry Verge system will involve stripping off the end row of tiles all the way up each elevation and fitting a track system to the roof which the Dry Verge sections clip into.They are good but will involve a fair bit of work to fit.

Sponsored Links
Do you know if they can be fitted to any roof tiles or certains make ?

Thanks for info so far - but is no one going to vote for pva?

lesbirch said:
. I am inclined to give a generous coating of PVA to hopefully strengthen the mortar and force a bit of extra mortar in the gaps around the clips
No,this is okay.

Masona----- you tend to find that particular styles are suited to particular tiles depending on the manufacturer of the tile. In short Redland make a verge system to fit their Redland tiles and the same with Marley and so on etc... i'm not sure if one brand will fit all others but if the tiles are a standard size plain concrete for example then I don't see why not. It would be best to go to a good Roofing Merchants and get some info from them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back