Web hosting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

The playgroup where my daughter goes, and where my wife works are wanting to set up a website. I have created a couple of websites from scratch recently but am by no means an expert. I have however offered to set it up for them if they want me to. I've just wondered if anyone can recommend where to go for webhosting? The playgroup are a registered charity - I wonder if anyone knows of any hosting companies who might offer discounted or FOC hosting packages to charities? I've seen a couple on the web that offer this in return for some form of link and text on your site directing traffic to their site (ie free advertising) but i'm not sure how reputable these companies are? I've been recommended 123reg.com but I can't see anything on their site which suggests they might offer discounts for charities and you don't seem to be able to contact them to ask them until you're actually a customer of theirs?

I don't want to go suggesting someone to host their site and then end up getting conned or the company pulling the plug on the site just as we've got it set up?? Would it just be safer to go with the more well-known 123reg.com?

Any advice will be greatfully received.

Sponsored Links
I did my own website on microsoft officelive - It's free and easy to do and if you want to have a .co.uk or .com then it's only £10. :)

Thanks for the reply. I've had a quick look at officelive, but I have to say i'm a little confused by it? Is this just software to actually create a website, or do they host sites too? And for free? Any idea how much webspace you get?

Thanks for the reply. I've had a quick look at officelive, but I have to say i'm a little confused by it? Is this just software to actually create a website, or do they host sites too? And for free? Any idea how much webspace you get?

I must have at least 40 pages on my site (so far) and they have all the tools for the inexperienced like me to make it easy. Yes they do host sites and for free, but if you want a .co.uk site then you have to pay £10 every 2 yrs (if I remember). :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks once again. I'll look into it in more detail then - it looks pretty good though. Do you have to buy your domain through them to use the site - we can get the .co.uk address they want for £6 for 2 years from other sites - but if we can get free hosting that outweighs the cost of the domain registration anyway :D

i've used 34sp.com for many years now

good service and support, always quick to reply and reliable

Thanks guys,

I've decided to get the site created and up and working, that way I'll know exactly what we need hosting and can chose a suitable provider at that stage. So i'll re-visit this thread at that stage (so please keep recommending any others). Searching the internet i'm amazed how many hosting companies there are...

I maintain websites for several regular clients, and for the last few years have had them all with UKHost4u. Problems have been very few and far between, and queries to technical support have always brought very quick responses.

They have a basic package on offer now which is only £19.99 per year (including domain registration if you order through them) and is likely to suffice for a basic website (512MB space, unlimited monthly bandwidth, 5 e-mail accounts, single SQL database).

http://www.ukhost4u.com

Sponsored Links
Back