Weeping windows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sap weeping through the wood on our üpstairs window frames. In the summer it was just a gooey mess so I have waited until now to clean it off and varnish the frames. I scraped off the excess and tried to sand it but it just clogged the sandpaper straight away.

Is there a way I can remove this sap? Preferably without strong chemicals.

Thanks for any help.

Kev. [/img]

Sponsored Links
A heat gun is quite useful as when heated the resin dissipates. Your going to have to be very careful with a heat gun near glass though, any chance of contact and you'll need either a directional shield on the gun or a shield against the glass. You need to apply knotting solution to the knots if you go to bare timber. You could spot prime with, aluminium wood primer or zinsser bin if painted. The potential problem here would be that the bleed will work its way through to the surface of the paint "around" the primer/sealer, so do a fairly wide area. If the timber is bare and you intend to stain varnish be sure to use white knotting as its clear.

I've got a piece of timber on one window that has been doing this for over 20 years - loads of it. Dunno why.

Sponsored Links
joe,

The advanced and prolonged appearance of resinous bleed is often caused by uv, and it really matters not as to whether it is an interior or exterior problem.

On saying that many timbers exude a resinous bleed that can defy the best of protective coatings, In such cases it would be a better option to drill out the offending knots, fill and have another go. ;)

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back