Weird Kitchen circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just installing and moving some kitchen units and have discovered that the normal way of wiring that I have seen in our previous house (Ring or radial) is different. A 2.5mm ring seems to have been taken from an old cooker control unit, now a round JB to form a ring to the sockets.

Looks like a 6mm radial on a 32A Mcb feeding the ring. The ring has been used for the last 9 years with the appliances below and have had no problem. Can the ring handle the appliances that are connected or should the 2.5mm be changed to a 4mm ring or even extend the 6mm radial with 4mm? Also can the cable be buried in plaster. The cable would also need to be moved anyway, as part of it doesn't seem to be in safe zones (Behind tiles with no visible accessory). Ideally a fused/unfused connection unit? ceiling height maybe with cables running in safe zone.
Thanks..

Attachments

• Kitchen Circuit.png
    Kitchen Circuit.png
    56.6 KB · Views: 552
  • 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 463
Sponsored Links
No problem with the circuit cable sizes or configuration. We call it a lollipop.

The zones are not satisfactory.
If you have to redo it, you could use 4 mm² T&E and make it a radial circuit.
Various configurations could be used. I show one example.

1.5mm² would do for the fan.
Care should be taken to make sure the 1.5 is properly connected in a terminal with 2 or 3 x 4mm².

What would you do with the junction box?
Presumably you don't want that on show.

Will you not want a cooker circuit?

upload_2018-6-2_16-26-26.png

Thanks for the reply,
Lollipop :D. Ideally I would of liked to keep the ring in 2.5mm (have quite a bit :)) But yeah if you think it would be better as a 4mm radial, then that's ok too. Regarding the junction box, I was going to put a newer connection box somewhere up near the Hood, not to concerned if it's on show but want to bury the cable in plaster and in safe zones.

Ideally I would of have liked to keep the ring in 2.5mm (have quite a bit :)) But yeah if you think it would be better as a 4mm radial, then that's ok too.
It's up to you - depending on the route.

Regarding the junction box, I was going to put a newer connection box somewhere up near the Hood, not to concerned if it's on show but want to bury the cable in plaster and in safe zones.
Ok. but you must not bury a junction box containing screw terminals.

Sponsored Links
I was going to put a newer connection box somewhere up near the Hood

If you make sure you buy an FCU which says it can accept 2 x 6mm² wires into the supply terminals(such as the MK ones), then you can put the 6mm² and the 4mm² radial both in the supply terminals, then have the hood coming off the load terminals. No unnecessary extra boxes anywhere then.

Thanks, I'll have a look again to see what she wants to do with the wall units. No I won't bury the junction box.

If you make sure you buy an FCU which says it can accept 2 x 6mm² wires into the supply terminals(such as the MK ones), then you can put the 6mm² and the 4mm² radial both in the supply terminals, then have the hood coming off the load terminals. No unnecessary extra boxes anywhere then.

Yes, I'll have a word with her when she gets back from work and see what she wants to do with the wall units and post a diagram then.

Thanks to both for your help so far.

Ok, Iv'e had a word and attached a rough diagram of what I want to do. Move the current JB up near ceiling level and change to FCU or newer JB that can supply the cooker hood and bury the cable whats above worktop level in plaster.

33.png

Will you not want a cooker circuit?

Would be a good idea but trying to get away with just the plug in cooker on the circuit.

I'd prefer to use the 2.5mm ring on a 32A MCB so..

Would the 2.5mm ring be Ok buried in plaster taking account of the cooker being plugged in? (It was certainly fine when it was clipped) so the only change would be 2.5mm rerouted and buried in plaster.

The same question regarding the 4mm radial.

There would be no other loads other than whats on the diagram.

Thanks

Ok, Iv'e had a word and attached a rough diagram of what I want to do. Move the current JB up near ceiling level and change to FCU or newer JB that can supply the cooker hood and bury the cable whats above worktop level in plaster.
Yes, good idea from rsgaz.

Would be a good idea but trying to get away with just the plug in cooker on the circuit.
Ok.

I'd prefer to use the 2.5mm ring on a 32A MCB so.
Would the 2.5mm ring be Ok buried in plaster taking account of the cooker being plugged in?
The same question regarding the 4mm radial.
Yes to both.

Have the WM and Oven sockets at the same height.

There would be no other loads other than whats on the diagram.
Are you sure you don't want any more sockets?

Thanks,

Have the WM and Oven sockets at the same height.

Yep will do.

Are you sure you don't want any more sockets?

Well there's other sockets on the other walls coming off a different ring for fridge and freezer plus sockets above worktop under window, so the kitchen in total will have 8 double sockets.

The only thing I forgot to mention is the socket for the microwave and kettle is on the adjacent wall but seeing as the cable will be be clipped behind the cabinets I didn't think it would matter?

Well there's other sockets on the other walls coming off a different ring for fridge and freezer plus sockets above worktop under window, so the kitchen in total will have 8 double sockets.
Ok.

The only thing I forgot to mention is the socket for the microwave and kettle is on the adjacent wall but seeing as the cable will be be clipped behind the cabinets I didn't think it would matter?
As long as the cables are within 150mm. of the ceiling and drop verically to and from the socket, it doesn't matter anyway.

A correction.

If you did bury the cabe then it would have to be like this from the MW/K socket to WM socket.

upload_2018-6-2_21-16-37.png

and change to FCU

Don't forget, you won't get 1 x 6mm² and 2 x 4mm² wires into the FCU supply terminals, so change your radial layout diagram to suit so it's just one 4mm², you'll even save some plastering by not coming down in two different places with the new cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back