Weird smell appeared in living room and coridoor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I've always found useful stuff in this forum so this is my first place to come with an annoying problem that i cant figure out.

A few months ago all of a sudden my wife and I came home and discovered a foul smell at the entrance. It smelt like sewage or feces and at first we thought it was the neighbors or from the outside but then a couple of days later it kept lingering around more and the living room and entrance now smell of it.

My wife has scrubbed the house up and down 3 times a week and we still cant get rid of it.

I smelled every sink and it doesnt smell anywhere outside or in my basement which is under the living room.

I am stumped. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
do you have a downstairs WC, or a soil pipe with an air admittance valve (AAV) which is malfunctioning?

Someone's put dog poo through your letterbox?

do you have a downstairs WC, or a soil pipe with an air admittance valve (AAV) which is malfunctioning?

no just a cellar downstairs for storage. there is a slight damp problem down there but the cellar itself does not smell neither does the second room that is above it.

:D well i thought it was dog poo under the letterbox but just turned out to be a gas bill

Sponsored Links
Check your light fittings, lamp shades etc, they may be brown and burnt by the heat of the bulbs,
when the plastic gets hot they give off a smell like fish,

After a bit of searching around it turns out i do have an AAV just outside and above the living room window facing the garden.

Is this quite normal to cause bad smells? Should it smell very bad if i get a ladder up there?

When it works you shouldn't smell it at all, only when it's faulty then it smells like an open sewer (that's what it then is). If that's the source then you will smell it on the ladder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back