Musty Floorboards smell will go away when I cover them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone -

I new here and I have this problem with the floorboards in my room. We pulled the carpet up in my room and took the carpet underlay up (Plywood boards) because were getting laminate flooring put in - Now it was VERY dusty underneath both the carpet and the underlay so it took a while to process it all but lets just say it stunk like hell.

That was like a month and a half ago (Because ive tried airing them out) but the smell still remains in the room. It seems to just constantly stream up from underneath/on the floorboards. Febreeze, Vinegar, odor nutralizeing candles - you name it - wont work against the smell it just seems to want to stay in the room.

Obviously this isnt like a major DIY disaster but the fact that I store all my clothes in the wardrobe in my room; and they pick the smell onto them is a problem. Can you think of anything I can do to stop this smell (Cant replace the floorboards though...)

If its just inevitabley there then will the smell go away when I put the laminate flooring down along with its underlay? Or should I solve the smell first? I just dont wanna put them down and have to tear them back up again to get rid of the smell.

Cheers

Stephen.

Sponsored Links
the things you have mentioned mask the smell, you should find the cause.

try lifting a floorboard and see what you find.

just hope fred west didnt live there :LOL:

the things you have mentioned mask the smell, you should find the cause.

try lifting a floorboard and see what you find.

just hope fred west didnt live there :LOL:

Ive done that because thiers a loose floorboard that I can lift - Its full of black dust (Soot Basicaly) and lots of rocks :confused: . Very strange I know but I cant lift all the floorboards and hoover it all out.

The house next door had a fire about 2 years ago and the smoke went from under thier floorboards into my house through our floorboards (Teraced property) - That MAY be what it is but who knows.

What should I do?

Sponsored Links
probably something dead under there

might be carpet underlay or backing rotting. Some of the latex ones seem to decompose. Or maybe a previous pwner had a weak-bladdered pet, or had a wooden leg and couldn't hop to the bathroom quick enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back