Floorboards smell of urine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

The title says it all!

We moved into a house where an old lady lived, and unfortunately one of the bedrooms has the albeit faint smell of old urine. I've used a bicarbonate of soda and vinegar mixture on it twice which has helped but the odour is still there.

We're actually going to put carpet over the floorboards anyway, so my question is can I get away with the faint smell of carpets once I put underlay and carpet over it, or shall I just get some basic floorboards to replace them?

Also, I read that plywood over the floorboards and under the underlay is good for cushion, before laying the carpet, is that right?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Might be cheaper to hire an ozone generator. I have used them on cars before and they work really well at getting rid of odors.

Thanks. So they just effectively suck up the smell?! If hiring, how long for?

Sponsored Links
Another possibility is to wash down with a strong mixture of warm water and biological washing powder/liquid. This works for cat and dog urine, although it sometimes takes 2 or 3 applications. Cheaper than an ozone generator - and without any associated health risks (you shouldn't be in a room with a commercial ozone generator for extended periods)

I'd consider taking up the floorboards.

you could either replace with new (I like 18mm WBP ply) or hose them off in the garden and let them dry thoroughly.

you might need to scrub the joists with bicarb.

Wee on the other floors, then you won't notice it in the bedroom

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back