Welcome Holmes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First there was Sherlock.

Then there was Barrett.

But above them all :-
Young kelly !!
Have you ever :- Spotted a brit athlete so perfectly ready, fit, toned, mentally awesome ?
- Watched a better executed series of races, both heats and finals, 800 and 1500 by anyone ever ?
- Witnessed a Brit female athelete so unconcerned about running the inside lane ? A sign of brimming confidence !!!
To be the best ... You gotta wanna ! and you gotta be in it to win it !!
Kelly wanted it and Kelly was in it and won it .. twice.
Best since our local girl, Pride of the Mendips Mary Bignal (Rand) from Wells, in '64 (Gold,Silver,bronze).
Being a little avid ... I think the TV license fee - for me - is worth it, just for the Olympics every four years ... best seats in the house since I started watching in 1960 !!

P

Sponsored Links
I enjoy sports but am not a fanatic, however I have surprised myself watching theese games as I have been rivetted, its been absolutely excellent!!!!
Kelly Holmes tonight was phenomenal, so were the 4x100 and the 4x400 even though they missed out.... for me the pinnacle of a brilliantly entertaining fortnight will be Amir Khan winning the gold tommorow in the boxing. Be God even the Paddies won a gold medal yesterday in the equestrian and to cap it all MAYO are in the finals of the all Ireland having beaten Fermanagh today, ..........though I suppose that will mean bugger all to anyone! But its bedlam this evening where I live.

Sherlock...Barrett... what about John the most famous of all the Holmes!

and don't forget "Shylock" that jewish detective bloke, never used a key, only slices of lemon on the locks.........."lemon entry my dear Watson"

But the Games, absolutely brilliant, Kelly and so genuine.

Amir Khan was great last night again, I just hope he doesn't get hurt. What a marvellous mentality for a youngster. When asked about going professional ( bad move in my book ) he says, in his great Bolton accent "no, the next Olympics 'cos I know I can get the gold then" Good luck to him, and well done all round.

legs-akimbo said:
.......Sherlock...Barrett... what about John the most famous of all the Holmes!
Kelly is bigger than he could ever be ....

Sponsored Links
legs-akimbo said:
watching theese games as I have been rivetted, its been absolutely excellent!!!!

Glad someone has been enjoying it: I was really looking forward to it, but the black bars at either side of the picture annoyed me so much it put me right off and I haven't watched anything since about day 3. See my earlier rant on the Helenik broadcasting corporation for being tight-a**ses who couldn't be bothered to invest in new equipment for the most important sporting event in the world. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would like to add another Holmes. A Canadian, Mike Holmes this time, but he presents a TV show (Holmes on Homes) where he goes to a different house each week to rectify the work of a cowboy builder. Says "Eh" in every sentence... "So, I hear you need a new roof eh?" "This is my favourite drill, eh." "The first letter of the alphabet is A, eh" :LOL:

pipme said:
First there was Sherlock.

Then there was Barrett.

But above them all :-
Young kelly !!

P

you forgot to mention
big john
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
big all

Adam w I have been watching on the R.T E. channell in Ireland .. no black lines here, though I can appreciate it would spoil the viewing.

Noooo, what I am getting at is that the Greeks made the (incorrect) decision to film ONLY in 4:3, square screen ratio. There is no widescreen feed available, hence anyone watching it on a widescreen TV will have black borders down each side (assuming they don't have any picture cropping/stretching modes turned on)

As a widescreen owner who doesn't want to see their athletes extra-fat, or headless, it is slightly annoying. I haven't lost any sleep over it, and I doubt that I will remember it as "the olympics that weren't in widescreen" beyond October. It just seems a bit 20th century to me :LOL:

I too have widescreen but cant say I saw anything diffrent ... or perhaps i just didnt notice... must check and see now tommorrow

Mary Bignal-Rand-Toomey-Reece was the golden girl of Brit athletics.
At the 1960 Olympics age 20 yrs, she failed to qualify for the long jump.
1964 Tokyo ... She became our first female gold medal winner, long jump 6.76M ( Jade J leapt 6.80M PB Athens 2004 ), a world record at the time, she also won a silver and bronze .. pentathlon and relay.
Mary was a blonde 'stunner' apparently drooled over by most male athletes ...
At Wells, Somerset, her home city .... Her golden long jump distance is marked out in a street.
Aged 64 she is in her third marriage, happily living on the US Pacific coast.
She was a great girl to whom "... Things seemed to happen .."
When I think of the lack of facilities for athletics, then and now, particularly away from the large cities .... Then I am not amazed that we produce so few very good athletes.

P

AdamW said:
Glad someone has been enjoying it: I was really looking forward to it, but the black bars at either side of the picture annoyed me so much it put me right off and I haven't watched anything since about day 3. See my earlier rant on the Helenik broadcasting corporation for being tight-a**ses who couldn't be bothered to invest in new equipment for the most important sporting event in the world. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

If you like Adam... I'll quite happily swap my beautiful 28" 4:3 Goodmans TV for you 6 foot plasma in time for the next Olympics! I'm generous like that! ;)

I see... fat people...

hmmm .... Says it all I suppose !! How is the Vignetting going MMJ ?

P

pipme said:
I see... fat people...

hmmm .... Says it all I suppose !! How is the Vignetting going MMJ ?

P

:p

Errr... You tell me!

Thanx 4 asking!

Vinegaretting...
T51.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back