Welded cill corners. Prone to discolour?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of the possible suppliers of the uPVC windows I'm looking at getting has told me that they do not weld cills on corners as the weld will discolour in time. He explained that the ground material that makes up uPVC profiles is revealed as the welding process removes the top layer.

Is this correct ? The option he has offered is a cap that hides the corner joint, which isn't too attractive.

Sponsored Links
What system profile does he use? Probably doesn't trust it himself as it's an inferior product with a lot of regrInd in it?

Correct they do take off the coating when they knife the weld to clean it but then they buff it up. To be honest i have not really seen a discoloured cill weld

What system profile does he use? Probably doesn't trust it himself as it's an inferior product with a lot of regrInd in it?

Synseal Synerjy and Sheild are the two that he offered. They seem to be a reputable company.

I don't recall seeing any discoloured cills, but then again I have not been looking. I'd like a welded corner really as it looks so much better, but if it did happen to discolour, it means ripping it all out and doing it again. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Two good profiles to be fair, synseal also do legend 70 which is a copy of rehau S706.

What your guy might of been talking about is that sometimes when the weld is sanded it isn't polished enough and after a while dirt accumulates in the sanding marks and shows the swirls up

He probably only sands the welds down. If the are not buffed up to a sheen after that they will absolutely discolour. Cill connectors look awful. I would go somewhere else.

If they are properly buffed to a shine, then they should stay good and not discolour then?

If I go elsewhere for the cill, is that an issue from a fitting point of view? I mean, will a cill made by company A fit a window profile from company B?

Go to Legacywindows in bristol, they will sort you out.

Yes they are pretty much universal, the only thing to watch for is they are the same colour white :eek:

Go to Legacywindows in bristol, they will sort you out.

I tried them as they supply Synseal profiles, I emailed them but got no reply?

Whoever I choose, I'll have to check the white is matched, but probably order all from the same place.

My working pattern means it's easier to email as I leave too early and get back late, with no time to make calls in between.

Besides, if a company like Legacy doesn't reply to a 'contact us' email, they must be too busy to answer the phone too. ;)

Same with one of the local window companies that I visited last Friday to make an appointment to come and see me. They were supposed to call on Monday to arrange a time for this Friday, as I had a day off. They don't do evening visits! I got a call last night, a week late, to arrange a visit today. They can sod off.

Not sure why you asked where I live, but it looks like I'll be going with a Duraflex system as the supplier does welded cills with a 10 year guarantee on the products.
The Duraflex beading detail isn't as pronounced as I'd like compared to Synerjy, however I can get all I need from one supplier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back