welding or brazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a multi fuel stove, problem is every time the door glass needs changing the nuts have to screw off the studs, and so far I have had to have 4 studs welded or brazed not sure which, the doors are cast I believe. I am thinking about drilling through where the studs are and fitting bolts & nuts. Any thought's please.

Sponsored Links
Not too sure what you mean here I'm afraid, but it's brazing that is successful with cast iron. Were the studs brazed in?
You can drill cast iron readily enough, of course.
John :)

How often are you having to change the glass, sound too often so there may be another issue going on.

Does the door have enough metal around the potential hole to remain secure, and would the holes still be airtight, and not let out any smoke or CO.

Can you get a better quality stud and nut brazed on next time, but I'm still inclined to query why the glass has been changed so much.

Hi,Burnerman, thanks for that wasn't sure weld or brazed. The studs are brazed onto the flat of door inside which I don't think is very strong.

Sponsored Links
Ah, I see......studs brazed to the surface of the cast door - not the best idea!
I'd be inclined to drill and tap holes for the studs rather than drill right through - just for aesthetics rather than anything else.
In the meantime, just tighten those nuts just over finger tight and that may save the glass.....gives it a chance to expand.
John :)

Hi Doggit, I agree with all your points co & smoke. The glass seems to need changing every 2 year. Not really got the hang of the glass wash. Plus there is not much room around the stove, top & sides.

You may be buying cheap glass, or more likely, you're overtightening the nuts when you replace the glass, and stressing it.
Not really got the hang of the glass wash

Very tricky the glass wash thing. You need to stove to run hot enough to burn the soot of the glass, that got there from not burning the stove hot enough in the first place. The hot air should be going over the glass, and keeping it clean, and you can't let the logs etc get too close to the glass either.

Plus there is not much room around the stove, top & sides

Are you referring to the distance from the outside of the stove to the surrounding brickwork; because this could be causing the stove to overheat, and that'll stress the cast iron frame.

Can you post a picture

Hi John, sorry for the delay in replying laptop went wrong. I have found someone who is drilling part way and tapping for the stud as you said, makes sense. The glass doesn't crack it discolours quite a lot. And I think I have been tightening the nuts to much. REG

Very tricky the glass wash thing. You need to stove to run hot enough to burn the soot of the glass, that got there from not burning the stove hot enough in the first place. The hot air should be going over the glass, and keeping it clean, and you can't let the logs etc get too close to the glass either.

Are you referring to the distance from the outside of the stove to the surrounding brickwork; because this could be causing the stove to overheat, and that'll stress the cast iron frame.

Can you post a picture[/QUOTE]
You may be buying cheap glass, or more likely, you're overtightening the nuts when you replace the glass, and stressing it.

Can you post a picture
Hi Doggit, sorry for the delay in replying laptop went wrong. The room around the outside of the stove is not a lot. I will try to send a photo when the doors are back in place.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/welding-or-brazing.469429/#ixzz4OHpiWviT

Drill and tap a larger sized thread with a steel nut, then use some thread lock or peen the steel. Grind back the steel flat flush with the iron, and re-drill and tap a new smaller hole. I've done this to repair an old vice, though clearly threadlock is fine in a vice but perhaps less suitable for a hot stove door.

Nozzle

Okay, so the glass isn't cracking, but it can get discoloured with soot if the airwash isn't working properly, but that doesn't mean it needs changing. There's supposed to be a trick of using wood ashes to clean the glass, but I use a glass scourer, and that brings it up perfectly.

Hi All, sorry for the delay in replying to you all, more computer problems. I have taken 2 photos of the stove and surround and replaced the glass with a better quality glass from Germany. Hope I have managed to attach the photos.

Attachments

• Fire2.jpg
    Fire2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Fire1.jpg
    Fire1.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 134

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back