Well? under foundations

rp9

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We're about to build an extension to the rear of our property. On breaking up the multi-layered concrete out back I came across the following (see images).

I've cleared it out to 5ft deep but don't really want to stand in it more until I know the depth. A metal pole between the remaining rubble seems to hit something solid at about 8ft with mud/water for the bottom foot of that, but that could just be a large brick or something.

What could it be other than a well? (I'm assuming it's not a drain).

Of course, our foundations are intended to run right through the middle of this, what's the best way to build over it? (fill with rubble/concrete then use lintels across?)

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hello,what's the best way to build over it? (fill with rubble/concrete then use lintels across?)

Thanks for any help.

That'll work. Steel beam, cast in situ concrete or large concrete PS lintel to bridge it. I'd go for the latter assuming you can easily get hold of one locally.

100x140 should do it for a single story.

*edit* should defo mention this to building inspector before proceeding.

• Thanks
Reactions: rp9
Could well be a drain (of sorts). I've seen these on older properties where the drainage from the roof is directed into these. There's usually an outlet somewhere near the top which then runs into local drains. Water from the "well" could then be used for the garden/washing etc. ;) ;)

Pity that your founds run straight over it though. With a thick glass cover and some lighting in it, it could have made a very nice unusual feature in your extension. ;) ;) ;)

• Thanks
Reactions: rp9
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
The building inspector came out and has agreed we can fill it in and put a lintel over it resting on pads etiher side.
Unfortunately one of these will be on the neighbours side, and wedged in a 2 foot space between the well and a drain.

Oh well, I can see a last minute divert of the wall once the foundations dig has started. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back