Wet brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved in and noticed an area between garage and house that a few bricks looking wet. Not sure if this is ingress from rain
Going to take a look at the guttering and seal between garage roof and house later on

Any ideas? Picture below. Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20231004_103631302.jpg
    PXL_20231004_103631302.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
It also occurs on the front garage wall. Does dry out so I'm thinking rain related but hope it's not causing any issues

Attachments

• PXL_20231004_112031974.jpg
    PXL_20231004_112031974.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 39
Well it is most likely to be the end caps for the guttering not sealing properly, but it could be the lead work at the bottom, maybe it is not helping to direct the flow into the gutter, it may be running right at the edge?

Well it is most likely to be the end caps for the guttering not sealing properly, but it could be the lead work at the bottom, maybe it is not helping to direct the flow into the gutter, it may be running right at the edge?
Thanks, I'll take a look soon and see if anything obvious jumps out

Sponsored Links
yeah seems to be below and around the edge of the guttering. Gaps etc so rain is getting through. Flow seems OK though, so maybe just poor lazy workmanship when the guttering got replaced

Those clip together gutters often leak. I had several that gave trouble when the builder did my extension. Some were so awkward, and kept re-leaking, so I used pvc cement and a strip of offcut to replace the foam. It was solid and dry after that.

Looks like the lead work is not dressed correct by passing the gutter in heavy rain.

Looks like the lead work is not dressed correct by passing the gutter in heavy rain.
It would need a photo from up a ladder looking at the detail in the lead where it goes under the roof and how it directs water to the gutter to be sure.

Taken a couple pictures of the gutter area. Not entirely sure what I'm looking at but there are gaps I'm happy to seal if people tell me they need sealing! Fyi downpipe for the gutter is on the other side of the garage

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_173910347.jpg
    PXL_20231007_173910347.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20231007_173949502.jpg
    PXL_20231007_173949502.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20231007_173935607.jpg
    PXL_20231007_173935607.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 44
The lead work should deflect rain into gutter, your has a big gap allowing rain to flush against the wall.

The lead work should deflect rain into gutter, your has a big gap allowing rain to flush against the wall.
Okay, should I try and seal this section as best I can? Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20231007_173910347~2.jpg
    PXL_20231007_173910347~2.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 28
The gap underneath that section is the problem .
Presume you mean the inside edge of the guttering then? Will add something to that. The lead is going to gutter (had to reshape the end of it slightly as was going back on itself)

I haven't sealed anything yet as hoping shaping the edge of the lead back to the gutter might help.
If ppl here think it needs other work please let me know. I've tested some water and seems to collect well in the gutter but wind and rain are a funny beast

edit: i have added some gutter sealant to the underneath of the soffit as looked like their were some gaps. hopefully this helps. If you think somewhere else needed sealing or fixing, pls let me know

many thanks

Last edited:
Okay rain has landed so good time to update. I added some gutter sealant to the bottom edge of the soffit where it meets the wall, hoping this would fix the issue.
Unfortunately I am seeing water seeping from that area on to the brick.
What's the likely cause? Worried this will cause issues in the house soon

Will get someone out otherwise

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back