Wet brickwork

wet-wall.jpg

Sponsored Links
Does the roof tiles actually overhang the gutter? The photo suggests it might not be or the overhang is too small.

Does the roof tiles actually overhang the gutter? The photo suggests it might not be or the overhang is too small.
Yea but not by a lot. some kinda of extra flashing might be needed as well, I don't know

Sponsored Links
Water can go up on the underside of the edge tiles, especially when assisted by wind. Without a sufficient overhang, the upward water comes down via the fascia.

Makes no difference if there is a gap. The water accelerates onto the wall, and anything on the wall will come down on the wall.
My point is why is there a gap between the gutter and wall at all, surely it should be sealed when installed (only a year old)

Suppose there is no gap. Water on the wall will still come down the wall. Roof water should not go on the wall in the first place.

Suppose there is no gap. Water on the wall will still come down the wall. Roof water should not go on the wall in the first place.
Exactly so in your opinion shouldn't the edge of the gutter and wall be sealed to stop any water from running off the garage roof into that gap?

Suppose I mean if the gap was at least smaller there's less chance of any run off going in there

No matter how small the gap, water molecule is smaller. Therefore water on the wall does not jump back into the gutter. The gap is needed for plastic expansion. Sealing the gap and using part of the wall as a river bed will damage the wall. This will result in damp and mould inside the house.

No matter how small the gap, water molecule is smaller. Therefore water on the wall does not jump back into the gutter. The gap is needed for plastic expansion. Sealing the gap and using part of the wall as a river bed will damage the wall.
Okay, so what is the solution here then?

I am not a roofer and don't know what the normal solution is. Maybe redo the lead flashing on the end tile to block water going on the wall. If it was my roof and it is accessible, I can probably improvise something. It would not be possible to improvise based on photos.

Maybe just an extra bit of flashing or eaves protector that slots in with the current wall flashing and tile. Direct it to the gutter some more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back