Wet carpet - concrete floor with underlay and carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a rented maisonette and the lowest room (it's a staggered level property) is causing us real problems. Ventilation in the whole place is a problem as it's on the ground floor and the old double glazed window don't lock in an open position or have vents, so we can only have them open if wee're in.

Anyway, the dining room at the back is next to the kitchen (which has no extractor fan) and it has huge sliding patio doors onto the yard.

Lately I have noticed random marks on the carpet which feel damp. I went in this morning to switch on the heating as the boiler is in there, and parts of the carpet are just sodden. The walls on the outside of the house are always very cold and feel wet and at the bottom they are bubbled and have brown marks coming through the paint, which looks like the colour of the bricks.

I pulled up the corner of the carpet and it is concrete under there with no floorboards, just carpet underlay and then carpet. Is this normal?

Do you think the concrete floor is pulling up moisture from the ground, or is the condensation causing this? Or both? What can we do?

Sponsored Links
id add some perminant ventilation and see where you go from there but also seems like your dpm in floor is failing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back