Wet floorboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my stopcock has been leaking, probably over a month, Lifted the flooring, plumber repaired the leak, I dried off the floor with hairdryer so I could see if it leaked again. Heating has been on for 3 days and it feels ok, is that long enough drying out and I can put flooring (vinyl) down with a light underlay?

Sponsored Links
What flooring do you have? Screeded concrete (I guess not), well seasoned floorboards, brand new floorboards or some form of sheet material?

We had exactly this problem, the leak had been running for a while before I noticed it, we have 110 year old painted floorboards which dried off incredibly quickly. If in doubt, maybe invest in a moisture meter??

Probably ok

I would leave it longer though - I had a leak and fixed it myself but opened the floor in two locations and aimed a fan heater so that the blast went through the gap .

I left it open for over a week, better safe than sorry .
The flooring will prevent wood from breathing so it has to be dry

Thanks guys, I have well seasoned floorboards. I would rather not open the floor, so will wait until its dry.

Sponsored Links
jeanette63, good evening.

If the stop cock was leaking for about 1 month, there is a good chance it was leaking slowly? in that, the volume of water escaping was relatively small.

I for my sins have seen Victorian / Georgian original timber floors [In for example Carlyle / Leeds / York and indeed the Colonies in Edinburgh] be subject to water flooding for a period of time, say inundation for 24 hours.

If the correct procedures are conformed to, these original floor boards will fully recover, OK the surface finishes have to be made good, easily achievable because these boards are exceptionally robust to flooding, provided ! ! the leak or flooding has not been on going for a considerable time, such as months or in the case of a small leak [a drip from a Stop valve] several months or longer.

Old timber flooring is exceptionally resilient to short term water inundation or slow leaks.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back