Wet Rafter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an under roof space off my attic bedroom which I'm using as general storage (files and paperwork and so on). It's really a crawl space, low, with five rafters exposed. There is what I think is roofing felt above these. I cleared this space of rubble and put down some floorboards and blocked the end with some wooden boards where the weather was coming in (dust and leaves etc). I don't know anything about ventilation. The house is Victorian terraced. I rarely use central heating and there are no radiators in this area. I once sprayed these rafters with a can of woodworm spray where I detected some signs of infestation, but I think that's old stuff and not an issue. I've now found just one of the rafters wet where it is flush against the felt. I'm concerned. Any ideas what this is? Thanks, would appreciate some advice as I'm a DIY novice BarryJoe

Sponsored Links
It'll either be condensation due to insufficient insulation in the loft, or there'll be a leak from the roof. Can you post a picture. But you need a degree of ventilation in the loft to take out any moisture coming up from the house; yes it makes the roof space cold, but it's there for a reason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back