Wet room proposal - can I use this directly as a drain? PICS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a house with a sort of annex ground floor toilet/cloakroom. My plan is to turn this into a wet room. Some pics:

Now the back of the basin is accessed from this outside door. You can see the sink drains to the waste pipe in the floor:

This rear access make it ideal to plumb in a wall concealed shower. My question is whether I can tile straight onto this concrete floor and use this existing waste pipe in the floor as a direct drain for the shower? Or would I get smells from it since there would be no u-bend?

Sponsored Links
It wont be adequate as is, any shower waste will need a trap of some description, that existing pipe will go straight into the drain. Second issue is a basin waste is only usually 32mm diameter, a shower will need at least a 40mm diameter waste.

Oh I see. Yes I suspected this went directly to the drain, but hadn't thought of the 40mm waste.

To be honest, this shower would probably rarely get used; I could always stick a drain plug down it when when not in use. I'd rather do that than have to fit a raised shower tray.

Can have wetroom there but not a good idea, it look too small to have toilet, basin and wetroom shower in. Why do you want wetroom there?

Daniel.

Sponsored Links
Only because with the floor being concrete, and the drain in the floor it seemed to lend itself well to a wet room.

With a compact cloakroom basin and short projection toilet, the shower would still have it's own 800x700 floor space.

If you really want to pursue the idea then dig the concrete out enough to locate the 4" pipe below, and change the waste to a more suitable type, with a trap. The making good to the floor will be covered by the tiles / floorcovering anyway so not so much of an issue.

Bodging it is all very well, but these things will come back to bite you should you decide to sell the house, and any new occupier finds they've got to half demolish the place to sort out a smell..... :eek:

True, or dig out enough to fit one of these:

Mr-Skill-Shower-Drain.jpg

That is one option but you'll still need to up that waste to 40mm. Reducing it under the floor is not a good idea, showers have a habit of clogging with soap/hair/etc and cleaning out a shower waste especially when you can get at it is never fun..... :cry:

And don't forget you need another waste pipe for basin as well.

You can buy wetroom drain grate/trap and wetroom kit.

When you doing concrete or screed you need to create slope so water can fall toward drain grate.

Also check toilet placement as drain for it look too far from wall for a compact toilet.

Daniel.

Yes, I'm turning toilet through 90 deg and using a flexible pan connector to route it to the toilet waste. I also plan to use a pan connector with a 40/32mm boss for the basin waste.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back