Wet room drainage advice...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I am renovating an old house with shared foul and rainwater drainage. We are installing a wet room downstairs in an old outbuilding with concrete floor, and the builders have excavated the floor and run a new 110mm drain with branches to service toilet, basin and the intention is that the shower will drain into the end horizontally.

While waiting for the plumber, the builder has mentioned that basically to prevent back flow and bad smell from coming up the shower, it will need a particular type of waste. Out of curiosity, I've been looking around about this, and am getting a bit confused:confused:. Is he talking about an anti-vac waste, or using a waterless waste as a solution to this. He talked about a valve that opened under the pressure of draining water, but admits that it isn't his area of expertise!

Hopefully the plumber will know what he's talking about, however I'm not curious as to what exactly it is we need, so wondered if anyone could shed any light. Also, are the waterless valves suitable to be buried underneath a wet room floor? I assume the valve he is talking about is serviceable without lifting the floor?

Cheers in advance (y),

Gus

Sponsored Links
He'll be either talking about a waterless trap (HepVo/MacValve) or one way valve. It's never good though to install any mechanical trap or valve in an area that cannot be accessed for maintenance, all traps need to be cleaned every now and then.
A high quality, hi flow shower trap is equally as effective though but really needs to be on it's own waste run to avoid syphoning and has an adequate fall.

All depends on clearance below the tray really and how good your plumber is to ensure it's installed correctly.

Thanks for the advice! Any suggestions on the type of trap we should be using? Depth is not a problem, as we can excavate as the floor is already up, but I guess the tricky bit is the depth relative to the drain?

Cheers,

Gus

Sponsored Links
Min 50mm and ideally a 75mm seal trap would be advised.

All depends on what is going in though as far as the former is concerned and what type of waste is going to be used e.g. a standard waste, a linear gully etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back