Wet Rot in floor joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We moved into a new home (new to us) about 12 months ago and recently discovered a leaking shower, after several attempts at sealing it up with silicone, I bit the bullet and decided to rip it out and start afresh.

The plasterboard wall and floorboards under the shower tray showed sign of black mould so I've started removing these to replace with new but I've also discovered that the floor joists have become spongy along the top edge and quite soft, I'm guessing this is wet rot. The damage runs for around 2 feet along the top of the joist and to a depth of around 1 inch.

My plan was to cut the damaged wood out and replace with new, and then treat the area with some wood preserver, does this sound right ? What wood should I use, can I use some C16 ?

Many thanks

Ryan

Sponsored Links
If it was me, if it's only an 1" of the total depth I would neatly cut out the bad section (a multitool is handy here) and glue and screw a tight fitting timber (any decent piece of timber will be OK) into the cutout. Depending on the situation I would most likely also sister a section alongside the length of the joist using some timber of similar size to the joist and some coach screws (prob M8 x 100/120) to secure it tight to the original joist to make up any loss of strength - you don't want a bouncy floor under a shower.

I use Everbuild Triple Action Wood Treatment on my 1930s joists. Just ordered another yesterday for the latest room!

I am expecting similar problems here when I rip everything out. Although for any joists rotten I have removed and put new in, rather than treat and patch up.

IMG_20210714_102709179.jpg

Thanks guys, I've just bought a new multitool so it will be a good test and I've got some Triple Action Wood treatment on it's way.

Wish me luck !

Ryan

Sponsored Links
Good luck!

Open the windows when using that stuff and keep out the room for at least an hour after.
I just one of those pump pressure sprayers, a lot easier than trying to paint it on with a brush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back