Wet wall (now sorted) re-point now or later?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long preamble but short question (bear with me!):

Just bought a 1906 London semi. It had an overflowing gutter on the wall onto the side alley. This was caused by a couple of slipped tiles at the eaves blocking the gutter, a general build up of muck blocking downpipe and a creeper (Wisteria) spreading along the gutter. Spent the weekend up a ladder replacing the tiles, cutting down the creeper and clearing out the gutter - which now flows cleanly.

Trouble is the last owner appears to have ignored this for a year or two (maybe more) and every time it rained water cascaded down the side of the house soaking the wall.

Frost has clearly blown a lot of the mortar and large portions of the wall are in serious need of repointing. It is about 7m high and 12m long. The side alley is 1m wide with a similar wall on the other side. Therefore the wall never gets much direct rainfall and certainly no driving wind and rain.

I want to give the wall the best chance of drying out. Should I repoint quickly or leave it to dry for a while?

I am worried that the pointing might seal water into the wall. But I don't want to leave it exposed for too long either. Advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Repoint now it wont affect drying out wich is due to vaporization but it will stop additional rain getting in

markthebuilder said:
Repoint now it wont affect drying out wich is due to vaporization but it will stop additional rain getting in
Fair enough. Looking at various cost estimates elsewhere on these boards (£20+ psm plus scaffolding) though, I won't be able to afford it until about March next year - so will have to hope weather is not too wet over winter :-/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back