We've got visitors!

Sponsored Links
Seems we have visitors too. None in the house, but we did wonder where all the bird food on the bird table went. This one came to an unpleasant end ... feel a little bad. Have emptied bucket and upturned it.

IMG_20201010_165810346_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you looked to see how they are getting in? I presume they don't knock on the door.
Mrs Mottie thinks they are getting in through the air vents and wants me to get some mesh.

@jonbey Mrs Mottie also thinks they are being attracted to the seed that falls from our bird feeders. I must admit, I have actually seen one of them around the spilled seeds when I’ve been out the garden at night making sure the dog does her business before bedtime. I’ve taken the bird feeders away this morning.

We actually saved a family of mice this year. When I levelled the ground for the swimming pool, I made a heap of turf and soil. When moving late summer, 2 tiny mice tumbled out of a gap - blind and useless. I was going to leave them for the magpie, but Marcia wanted to guard them. Mouse appeared and saved them, carrying them into a hedge. We dug up 2 more later, one dead, another survived. So we did our it to increase the mouse population!?!?

Just heard on R4 about more rats this year, due to warmer winters extending breeding season. They are getting braver, and there have been cases of rats entering homes through letter boxes!

I need to seal my new air bricks... still lodged in place with stones etc. Was going to do it properly with mortar, but might just get the foam gun on it.

I would hope that unless you have a pile of seed under your house, they won't gnaw their way in. I think they are opportunists, if there's a gap they'll investigate, and then when under the kitchen they will smell the food and get in.

I've still not sealed my airbricks in. I think the new ones are mice safe (thin plastic air slots) but older ones with the big square holes might be vulnerable.

I would hope that unless you have a pile of seed under your house, they won't gnaw their way in. I think they are opportunists, if there's a gap they'll investigate, and then when under the kitchen they will smell the food and get in.

I've still not sealed my airbricks in. I think the new ones are mice safe (thin plastic air slots) but older ones with the big square holes might be vulnerable.
Wire wool deters them. We had an issue with slugs getting in through air vents, covered them in body repair mesh.

Sponsored Links
Back