WF541G Acting Wierd

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
EDITED: On the off chance that anyone else runs into this problem, it turns out it was the PCB. I can't say for certain what part was blown, but there was very light burn marks on the area at the top on both the back and front (Top being where near the transformer, capacitors and one of the relays is).

A straight swap with a Mark IV PCB board from EMW Electronics fixed the problem straight away. Both my mother and I are very happy; she can wash her clothes, and she can stop nagging me to use my washing machine!

Original post including symptoms is below:

---

Okay, so strange problem for you (Maybe rocks will read this, if he's still about):

Hotpoint WF541G 1400 Spin doesn't start any of its programs. There's no flashing lights, but if I press start, every light on the horizontal LED list comes on EXCEPT for the lock door light, then they all go off, and nothing else happens, though the machine is still on (red light still there).

Thought it may be a faulty lock stopping the machine from starting up, but I find that if I unplug the machine from the wall then plug it back in again, it will automatically lock the door and begin a basic cycle. This cycle fills, heats the water, turns the drum slowly for a few mins, then stops, drains the water, then unlocks the door. After that, it goes back to its typical bad behaviour of not starting any of its programs. I've tried every single one of them, with and without heat or spin. All the same.

Took the PCB out of the back. All wires were fine and in great condition, but on the board itself and to lesser extent the plastic housing the board sits in, there was a black soot like substance at the top/center of the board, on both the underside and upperside, around where the big fat capacitor and eeprom are.

Am I looking at a dead PCB here? And if so, can I just buy a replacement from EMW electronics and bung it straight in, or do I have to do some daft reprogramming? £50 for a replacement part sounds a whole load better than £100 for someone to fiddle with it, and better still than £200+ for a new washing machine!

Thanks in advance!

(Also, sorry for the wall of text)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back