Wharfdale 10.1 Speaker Stopped Working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Got a pair of these running off of a HK980 amp. Had a BBQ at the weekend and was running them fairly hard most of the day - not full blast but louder than I've ever normally run them. After a few hours one of them just gave up the ghost, no sound from it at all. Swapped the channels over to check it wasn't the Amp but it was still dead as a dodo.

Any ideas what this may be, I'm guessing it's cross-over related but what could have damaged this, the amp and speakers are fairly well matched and they have both been broken in sensibly.

Thanks

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Decades ago, when I was at university, my house-mate bought a pair of Wharfedale "Unit 5" kits. He drove them from a 50+50 Watt RMS stereo amplifier at a volume that wasn't high enough to cause discernible distortion. Twice the mid-range unit died. Twice we drove all the way to Brighouse to get the unit exchanged (free) at Wharfedale's factory. In each case the technical guy ripped out the cone and showed us a burned-out voice coil. He offered no explanation.

My opinion is that the units are simply not up to the job but I'm no speaker expert.

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/support.php

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back