What a Nightmare, Combi Glow Worm Swiftflow 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

A Couple of days ago I took a walk outside of my house which we have been living in for 6 months now to find that the outside wall was wet ! , with hot water running down the outside wall about 1-2 meter's below the blow off pipe from the boiler. My First reactions was holy sh*t had a hot water pipe burst in my inner wall ?.

After a few hours it appeared that someone had crimped up the Pressure Relief Pipe and cemented over it, which im sure is illegal !, after tapping a small hole into the cement I managed to re-open the outside pipe which had slow dripping water coming out of. Eventually the water stopped but the pressure on the boiler had dropped 0 bar, after a few more hours I had to balance the system letting in more pressure and balancing it around 1.5-2 bar, once balanced I noticed after a few hours the hot water would run cold, after checking the boiler pressure it had dropped to 0 bar again, As i bled the radiator dry before hand I kept topping up this pressure until it was fixed on 3 bar and working great for the next few day's but I have noticed if the pressure bar is upto 3 or more water is coming out of the valve outside ?

i've been told by a professional to turn the red knob above the boiler to manually open/close the valve, even though I have turned for a few min's im suppose to hear something ? which I didn't but i Did notice a few drop's of water coming from the red valve ? ,

Currently im topping up the system everyday just so there is enough hot water in the tank's ? any solutions anybody.

Any help would be greatfull as I don't wanna spend £250 on somebody to do a 5min job.

regards
Simon.

Sponsored Links
sounds like your safety valave is now kaput or has a dirty valve seat at the least...caused by failure of your expansion vessel. get some one in and have em check it out...could even be just the schraeder valve on the vessel is u/s

gavinda said:
sounds like your safety valave is now kaput or has a dirty valve seat at the least...caused by failure of your expansion vessel. get some one in and have em check it out...could even be just the schraeder valve on the vessel is u/s

Thankyou for the advice, how much would a safety valve set me back ?

Sponsored Links
441557.gif

rrp £34.55!

srostron said:

Any help would be greatfull as I don't wanna spend £250 on somebody to do a 5min job.

regards
Simon.

It does not cost £250 to do a five minute job on boilers! Perhaps you are thinking about solicitors?

A competent boiler engineer would typically check over your system, identify any other faults, replace the PRV and advise you on the correct pressure to set it to cold ( 1.5 Bar ) all for under £99 in most areas.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back