What am I doing wrong! Leaks from stop tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just laid a new 25mm MDPE main to my outside tap. There is a stop tap below ground and then a 15mm pipe goes up to the outside tap. I have two leaks in the space of a metre!!! The first is where the MDPE pipe joins the stop tap. I have put the insert in the MDPE pipe, it has a copper o ring and i have used PTFE tape (about 6-7 layers thick) on the compression fitting. the next leak is where the outside tap joins the wall plate. The tap screws in to the wall plate, I have used a bout 8 winds of PTFE tape, but it still leaks. I have 6.5 bar of pressure and when i turn the stop tap off in the road, the pressure drops by 1 bar after about an hour.
This is such a basic thing, I don't want to call a plumber out. Its not the money, its embarrassment of getting them out for such an easy job!
Any pointers would help.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I used to use ptfe on joints that didn't seal.

Not anymore, I found that the olive would just crush/cut through it.

Now I use jointing paste on all compression fittings, now I never get leaks, ever.

I would go with more than 8 winds. And as above cant beat a bit of paste.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, sounds like paste is the way to go. Is it worth using a bit of PTFE and then pastre as well? Or is that overkill and the paste alone would achieve same result.

Watch which paste you are using on plastic pipe!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back