What am i doing wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been trying to plaster our kitchen.

Im a tiler by trade. Ive watched many plasterers, they make it look easy.

It isnt!

Ive now done one big wall (will be mostly hidden by units), 2 small walls and a little bit of ceiling.

I still have 3 big walls and the main ceiling to do.

I was hoping that by now i'd have more of a grasp on it, but i dont seem to be getting better.

Im reasonably competant, can turn my hand to most things, but with plastering im either doing it wrong, or just dont have the ability.

I always seem to be left with lots of little low patches, maybe around 1-2" diameter.

Im skimming over flat walls just to try and make a nicer surface for paint.

Im applying PVA, letting it go tacky, them mixing up.
I think im getting the mix right, a bit like angel delight, plaster into water, mix untill lump free.

Ive tried doing one coat, and 2 coats, same result.

I put it on, then leave it 10 mins or so.
Then give it a bit of a flatten and fill any gaps and holes before the plaster in the bucket goes off.
At this stage i have trowel marks, ripples, little bumps etc.

I then leave it another 10 mins or so, brush edges and flatten again.
I tepeat this a couple of times, with 10 min gaps.

Then i damp it down and flatten off again. At this point all the low spots become really obvious as the fat im taking off goes into the low spots and is lighter than the rest of the wall.

At this point i tend to panic, try and brush over low spots, work over them, trying to smooth them out or fill them with whats coming off on the trowel.
After trying this for a while i realise its not getting any better and leave it.

The low spots arent that low, i dont know how bad it will look when painted, but i assume painting the walls will make it look worse, not better.

I think i may be doing something wrong right at the start, maybe not putting it on the wall evenly enough, but ive always been told dont worry, just get it on the wall.
Im trying to put on 2-3mm, i just did maybe 5m square in total and used about half a bag of multi finish.

Any advice? (apart from hire a pro)

Sponsored Links
your not pushing hard enough. this is how ill explain it.

put the first coat on and flatten it STRAIGHT away, then put the second straight on, but make sure you are pushing hard. As soon as the second coat is on, trowel it straight away. Then wait 20 minutes ( you can clean edges while waiting ) then trowel again. Wait 20, trowel again. It should now be flat as f@@k. Now wait a bit longer and trowel again. then you can leave it till it starts going dark, and trowel again.

I dont think people push hard enough thats why there is dips and things. They get pushed flat in the first trowel and flatten. Dont get dips confused with trowel marks. When you have 2nd coated and trowel straight away, it wll be really flat, but have trowel marks, the trowels after take the marks out and push the final bit flat.

If near the end, you feel dips and bumps, then give up, as you wont be able to get them out, and either skim again, or easi fill the dips.

Sponsored Links
it's better to mix a fresh mix for the second coat. you get two different setting times and you are pushing softer mix onto harder first mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back