refurb kitchen... what to do next???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, ill tell you now ive never plastered, and never mixed but im doing my kitchen at the mintue and wanting to have a go. if it goes wrong ill make the call!

All of my kitchen was originally tiled so they've all come off and the units are out and obviously im left with patches everywhere. (trying to upload pics) im after a smooth finish as im wanting to paint the walls. im not sure what to do next or what to use to achieve that so came here. Been told to piddle off loose and skim it up and been told its easier to take it all off and restart???

any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
All of my kitchen was originally tiled so they've all come off and the units are out and obviously im left with patches everywhere.

Agree with 1John - pics will help

:?: What is under the tile adhesive/patches - was it dot&dabbed plasterboard or a more substantial undercoat (such as Render or Hardwall/Bonding/Browning etc)?

managed to upload pics now... maybe these will explain a bit better... :)

there in my album cant get the pics on here????
[/img][/code]

Sponsored Links
managed to upload pics now... maybe these will explain a bit better... :)
ive had a look at your pics and your undercoat looks like its in really good nick if it was my walls i would take as much off of the old skim as pos (all of it if you can) then reskim, if you dont fancy that then take all the loose off, then pva, level out with bonding or skim, and then skim the whole room

if you dont fancy that then take all the loose off, then pva, level out with bonding or skim, and then skim the whole room

As a newbee, if it were me, I'd fill out the bits with Bonding first. I would find this easier. Steve's 2nd suggestion.

thanks for the replys..... ive tried taking it all off but i can see it taking forever so im going to knock off the loose and have a go at bonding it in.. any tips or what bonding to buy??

Tips - PVA, get a good coat on the day before you are going to do it and then belt some on before you mix up so it is tacky when you start applying the bonding.

Bonding is bonding? Purple bag in wickes!

thanks 1john, just so i got it clear in my head.

pick off all loose

PVA all wall (4:1 mix im guessing from other posts)

leave for a day

PVA again just before putting bond on.

Am i bonding up to the same level as the old skim thats still on the wall and does this coat have to be a good finish?

(sorry if the questoins sound SIMPLE! absolute novice!)

Just looked at your pictures, I am a little confused as to what you want to do here? do you plan on skimming over all of the walls once you have leveled up these inperfections where the skim has left the render? If so I would be tempted to fill out these low spots with multi finish and then as that firms up I would apply the normal two coat finish over the wall as usual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back