What *are* cold spots? Rad sludge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all and thanks for taking the time,

I have an infra-red (pistol type) thermometer. Can anyone tell me what percentage temperature range across top and bottom of a radiator shows that sludge is an issue?

For instance 72.2c at top and 31.5 c is this accountable by convection only ?

A number of heating engineers have asked about our radiators in discussing our system; its possible need for flush etc. They ask if there are any cold spots etc

There's a definite lag in speed of heating (from switch on), i.e., lowest centre of rad warms up a lot slower than at top, but then convection would mean this is normal, no?

Surely also conduction would mean that all parts end up something like hot eventually. I am not sure that when others report 'cold spots' (i have been reading others posts!), they are in fact a bit cooler???? or...??

TIA. :)

Sponsored Links
Either sludge or poor circulation.

Which tend to go hand in hand anyway.

A thermal camera is required really. Those pistol things are shyte.

Either sludge or poor circulation.

Which tend to go hand in hand anyway.

A thermal camera is required really. Those pistol things are shyte.

Thanks for the reply, though when I am asked if there are cold spots, I am not expected to have a thermal camera, am I?

Other people talk of 'finding' cold spots (with their hands).

I know that sludge and poor circulation go hand in hand.

I would expect someone in the know, to be able to refer to specific differential that is indicative of poor circulation.

For example, 70c at the top, 15 at the bottom. This would look bad if i had another house to refer to in which the greatest differential was much less.

Sponsored Links
For instance 72.2c at top and 31.5 c is this accountable by convection only?
No.

Use you "useless" IR thermostat to measure the temperature of the two pipes connected to the rad; there should be approx 10C difference. If the surface temperature at any point on the rad is lower than the reurn temperature (the lower of the two pipe temps) then there is sludge at that point. Sludge tends to collect in the centre at the bottom.

For instance 72.2c at top and 31.5 c is this accountable by convection only?
No.

Use you "useless" IR thermostat to measure the temperature of the two pipes connected to the rad; there should be approx 10C difference. If the surface temperature at any point on the rad is lower than the reurn temperature (the lower of the two pipe temps) then there is sludge at that point. Sludge tends to collect in the centre at the bottom.

That is what I was looking for...
Knowledge and methodology.

Thank you. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back