What Are The Downsides To Fitting Your Own D G?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old man is getting prices for scaffolding for his 3 bed house. He intends to replace all the old wooden windows and doors with UPVC D G as well as all fascias, boards gutters and down pipes.

I think you have to be accredited to fit windows these days. What are the downsides to doing it DIY, especially if you want to sell the house?

I'm afraid that at 80 he is going to overstretch himself and especially in the case of the soffits/fascias, when the rotten old wood and asbestos comes off, he wil find more rotten wood underneath. Will then end up as a partial roofing job too. Trouble is, daft old bugger is too tight to pay anyone. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
He can do it himself and get it signed of through building control at the council, won't be able to remove the asbestos though. Some bloke to be doing it at 80

He can do it himself and get it signed of through building control at the council, won't be able to remove the asbestos though. Some bloke to be doing it at 80

Thanks for the info.

Yes, one of those who won't be told. Daft old bugger has prostate cancer and mild heart arrythmia. Totally nuts doing it, but no one can advise him.

At least he's shelling out for proper scffolding this time. Couple of years ago, he did something using a scaffold tower which fell over with him on it. Walked away with just a scrape.

Pensioners! :rolleyes:

Good on him. Good old fighting spirit. Forget about fensa - he ain't going nowhere.

Sponsored Links
a guy bought a conservatory of us and didnt want to pay the fitting, he tried himself broke a small frame glass and sliced through loads of tendons in his hand. he was off work for months SE and cost a lot more that the fitting fee. pay a fitter is my advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back