What are your preferred frame-fixings for battening on top of PIR insulation boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm affixing 50mm PIR on a low brick wall and I plan to glue the boards to the wall first then batten on top with 25mm battens and mechanically fix through.

There's quite a few options for fixings - hammer/frame fixings, rawl+long screws, and various fixings that don't need a rawl. Prices vary a lot too. Just wondered what people prefer and why? What length of the fixing needs to be in the brick in my case?

Sponsored Links
Screwfix do a good concrete screw, usually allow double the thickness of the batten in the wall, but for 25mm, 60mm would do.

Blup

Screwfix do a good concrete screw, usually allow double the thickness of the batten in the wall, but for 25mm, 60mm would do.

Blup
Well there is the 50mm of insulation too. I can see 120mm and 150mm options, guessing 120 is just a bit on the short side.

Would you pilot drill through battens, pir into brick with a long drill then just whack the screw in? That's sounds quite a quick way to do things

Personally I don't like long fixings going "blind" into masonry. I would fix the battens to the wall with normal screws and plugs, infill with 25mm PIR, overlay with 50mm PIR then plasterboard over the top with the screws going into the battens. The only thing is you'll need to find 85mm drywall screws.

Sponsored Links
Personally I don't like long fixings going "blind" into masonry. I would fix the battens to the wall with normal screws and plugs, infill with 25mm PIR, overlay with 50mm PIR then plasterboard over the top with the screws going into the battens. The only thing is you'll need to find 85mm drywall screws.
What's the reasoning behind this - just not knowing what you might hit?

What's the reasoning behind this - just not knowing what you might hit?

Yes. Unfortunately I'm so anal about these things that if I had to blind fix I'd spend ages measuring up so that all the concrete screws went dead centre into a full brick, not into a joint or splitting off the edge of a brick etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back