insulation board fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am moving on with my project and having never done anything like this before have some questions I hope someone can answer.

I need to fix insulation boards direct to the walls then add battens to this to provide a 25mm gap before attaching the plaster boards.

my questions what's the best way to fix the boards direct to the wall, I have seen dry fix (pink Grip) but should I use something else.

Also once this is fixed how do I fix the battens these are 25 mm thick and going into a 50mm insulation board do I mark up the wall and put raw plugs in ?

some walls ( the new ones ) are block work and some brick.

thanks any advice appreciated.
Cliff

Sponsored Links
Isn't the cavity generally on the cold side of the insulation?

When I did mine, I left a 25mm gap, then had the stud. I pushed the Celotex betwixt the studs, and overboarded with PIR board, then the plasterboard. I screwed the plasterboard through the PIR and into the stud.

I thought that to start with but as I had never done this before I had the architect draw up a schedule of works, This was submitted to building control and everything signed off as ok and correct.

It states : PIR Insulation GA4000 50mm direct onto block work then 25mm battens and plasterboard on that followed by 5mm finishing plaster.

Cliff

As long as you've got a vapour barrier (which the foil should provide once taped) it doesn't matter too much. On the flip side, you've got an easily accessible void for services.

I'd not affix the Celotex with anything - just fit the battens very snug, so that it's held firmly in place. Fixing will introduce thermal bridging, which you want to avoid.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply, so if I don't fix the celotex and just hold with the battens ( snugly ) will that be ok when the plasterboard is fitted ?

Cliff

As long as you're screwing the plasterboard into the stud, it will be fine; plan ahead - if you want shelves, you'll need some stud appropriately placed.

Yes thought of that and the bathroom fixing sink etc
Thanks for the help.

Cliff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back