Internal wall insulation fixings.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brick wall with plaster.

I have kingspan type boards with vapour barrier on both sides.

I want to put this directly on the wall, battens on the surface then plasterboard.

I need to screw through the battens and insulation to the brick. This is to make the battens ridged for the plasterboard.

What fixings can I use for this which won't seriously damage the u value and cause cold spotting on the board.

I'm following the manufacturer instruction on this process.

I have contacted them for advice on fixings, they only advise on the boards.

Sponsored Links
You can source plastic plugs and fixings to the required depth, they have a wide head to spread the load on the pb. Metal are also available. Fix first with adhesive foam.

Blup

Thank you, I don't need to secure the panels, the battens will hold them. I need to secure the battens through the panels onto the wall.

Can't use adhesive foam as the boards have foil on both sides.

Sponsored Links
Just long screws and plugs for the battens to fix into the brick. Ordinary PB screws for the PB onto the battens.

Thank you, I don't need to secure the panels, the battens will hold them. I need to secure the battens through the panels onto the wall.

Can't use adhesive foam as the boards have foil on both sides.
Plastic plugs will minimise damp and cold bridging but some is inevitable. Long steel screws to suit depth.

Blup

Fix the battens to the wall, insulate between with 25mm PIR, overlay with your chosen depth of PIR then fix pb with suitable length screws.

He's doing continuous insulation on the walls, then battens + PB on top of that.

I know, but faced with the difficulty of drilling, plugging and then getting the screw to find the plug after going through plasterboard and 100mm celotex I found it simpler to fix the battens to the wall and aim for 50mm of wood.

But these days unless I was skint I'd probably just foam or dab PIR bonded plasterboard on.

Yes hybrid insulation and pb secured by foam best but costlier.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back