Which method of insulation construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the wall below to Insulate. It will sit behind some tall kitchen units housing cookers etc. I want to ply the wall before plasterboarding and skimming to give some good fixings for the kitchen and surface mounted electrics. In the rest of the house I have just bonded insulation to the external walls and boarded over. Is it safe to do the same here screwing through the ply and insulation back to the brickwork or should I batten it, Insulate between and then fix ply back to the battens?

20220423_183721.jpg

Sponsored Links
I can't really advise but are you sure those floor joists are beefy enough? They almost look like the sort of dimensions you'd see on decking.

I would fix straight to wall with ply over.

foil tape on all joints to create vapour barrier.

Sponsored Links
I can't really advise but are you sure those floor joists are beefy enough? They almost look like the sort of dimensions you'd see on decking.
C24 8" x 2"s spanning what- 2.5metres? And you don't think they are beefy enough?

Specsavers?

I have the wall below to Insulate. It will sit behind some tall kitchen units housing cookers etc. I want to ply the wall before plasterboarding and skimming to give some good fixings for the kitchen and surface mounted electrics. In the rest of the house I have just bonded insulation to the external walls and boarded over. Is it safe to do the same here screwing through the ply and insulation back to the brickwork or should I batten it, Insulate between and then fix ply back to the battens?
I see you have two joists close to each other by the wall....

If space wasn't an issue, you could trap some PIR insulation behind some 2" x 2" (or 25mm batten) studs fixed to bottom joist up along side the first floor joists. You could furnish the studs with ply and run services behind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back