What Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted this about an hour ago but it doesn't seem to have appeared!!!

Anyway. I want to replace my boiler in my new house. The survey I had done said that it wasn't big enough for the house. Its a large victorian semi with three bedrooms and a loft room.

I've arranged for some companies (including BG) to come round to advise and give quotes but I wanted to know a bit more before they get there.

The current boiler is in the dining room and looks really ugly. I want to move it up stairs out of the way, ideally (in theory) putting it in the water tank cupboard and using a combi instead to take up less room.

Questions I have really are - what kind of boiler should I be going for (I have an electric shower and a bath and hope to install an ensuite later in the year)? What should I avoid? and are there any particular questions i should ask.

Thanks very much,
Emma

Sponsored Links
In my veiw ideal scenario, electric shower and combi boiler, always got ablutions even when boiler fails, as long as you have decent mains pressure go for Worcester 28cdi with wireless digistat, if you are fitting onto old radiator system insist that they fit the worcester open vent kit to avoid pressurisation problems on old rads and joints, make sure system is flushed adequetly.

Make sure to get 3 quotes for the same boiler and setup so as to compare quotes equally.
Oh yea BG use Worcesters boilers but have their own livery name on them, check which of the Worcester range it is equivalent to, the cheap one or the dear one.

Do some searches on the forum before having a combi. I don't know why people think a combi will be a guaranteed benefit. They need more maintenance, and you can look at the space you're getting by removing the tank as having a rent paid on it in the form of boiler maintenance. It is NOT free space.

Having said that (again, (groan)) Pleeeeease have a combi, we always look forward to even more work being available.

Yours sincerely

Boiler maintenance support club (Geddit?)

Decent combi doesn't need any more maintenance than an ordinary boiler with all it's bits spread around the property, tanks maintenance, cylinder maintenance, cylinder stat maintenance, motorised valves maintenance, ordinary boiler itself maintenance and wiring center, in a combi it's just in one place so if the pump or diverter valve or whatever fails they blame the combi which isn't exactly fair.

Sponsored Links
Emma
Only have a combi if you really really really really really really really really really really think it's your best option.

Unless you live near me - I mend them.

I could go on. Really.

To quote pedanticvin.....
"new cheap ones (combis) only last 5 years so even a good qaulity one is at the end of it's life at 15"

To quote anyone that will give you a straight answer "any boiler of any type or will only last about fifteen years" just wait until next year when condensers all start going in then we will see how long boilers last.

P.S. Glad to see people are paying attention.

My preference lies with Vokera (I see plenty of- parts are very reasonable when that will be needed), Baxi 105 (have not let me down yet) or Vaillant (not as good as they use to be). Would not touch a Worcester with a bargepole. I prefer others to fit them so I get called out to carry out repairs as a large number of boilers are fitted by fitters who prefer to be blank about internal working of the model they fit.

Installation is important. Workmanship has to be to a high standard for any appliance to work correctly. Boiler must be fitted as per the maker's recomendations and Benchmark logbook completed. My preference lies with copper pipe for plumbing with plastic only used where copper cannot be installed.

System cleanse (can take a day or more) followed by inhibitor treatment will ensure boiler lasts longer.

My ideal set up would be a Vaillant VCW 282 or Vokera Fllowmatic 24 96 supplying hot water needs in kitchen and utility rooms and an unvented hot water cylinder for washing. Sadly these boiler are no longer made. But these can be sourced when someone unknowingly removes them for inferior appliance.

It is very difficult for anyone on a forum such as this to give you a definitive answer without doing an onsite survey. Hopefully the people who come around to quote you will do some tests before launching into the sales talk.

The disadvantages/advantages of a combi vs stored water system are well documented on the net. I suggest you do a bit of research so you are prepared to ask the right questions.

Just a few initial questions that should be asked are;
Is existing cold water pressure/flow rate suitable for the choice of system.
How many people live in property and what is the hot water usage.
Number of bathrooms with showers/baths.
Will you be upgrading to high performance showers in future.
Do you need hot water backup if the boiler breaks down.
Is existing gas pipe sufficient for a high kW combi.

[cross posted on screwfix.com]

Thanks very much. The first appointment I had did suggest a Worcester 350 (although I see some think that's good and others not!). I've got two other visits booked for this week. So I'll see what they all say and really quiz them on the combi benefits / drawbacks to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

One bathroom expert I had round suggested an unvented tank in order to get a good shower but without the disadvantages of a combi. Any views at all?

Have already suggested that in my previous post.

The Worcester range is pretty nice, they have some combi's with built in 3.5 l hot water tanks. Which I think is about a reasonable compromise between have a 'proper' combi, and having a separate hot water cylinder.

As somebody said above about BG boilers. I only know their condensing one, and that corresponds to about the Greenstar 35E Plus as from what I can read in the data sheets...

The 35E is available for £1,131.53 including VAT from Discounted Heating, including flue, etc. I guess ~£1200-£1300. BG (who are fitting mine) charge ~£1500 for the boiler + bits), so they are a bit more expensive...but not completely outragous...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back