What brick bond is this

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Please could someone tell me what this brick bond is called

I am trying to determine if this wall is a solid 9 inch wall.
The house is a 1898 end terraced, there is damp inside on the wall and I think the previous owners had a free cavity wall job done on the walls. I suspect that the cavity wall stuff is in different spots as it couldn't go past the header courses is this thinking correct?
I am looking at getting an independant Survey carried out to determine whether it has got cavity filling or not

Any guidance would be massively appreciated

Attachments

• IMG-20231028-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20231028-WA0003.jpg
    282.9 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Common bond? (Had to Google)
Gotta be a solid wall, so don’t really understand the cavity insulation bit.

English garden wall bond (varies from 3 to 5 courses between headers) and not possible for any cavity insulation as mentioned by 23vc.

Common bond? (Had to Google)
Gotta be a solid wall, so don’t really understand the cavity insulation bit.
Thanks for the reply 23vc. I looked on google and seen the common bond but it Yes I know what you are saying regarding it being a solid wall and shouldn't/couldn't have a insulation in it. However the previous owner told us they had cavity wall insulation pumped in by a government backed scheme maybe 10 years ago. We have damp on the inside of that wall in the picture roughly corresponding to the damp/ darker spots on the brickwork.
I am looking at getting a survey done as I was thinking if the company who did the job for the previous owners squirted some insulation into the wall and filled from header course to header course which has now become damp this might be the cause , if you get what i mean. Removing it and ventilating the room could hopefully solve the problem. I have also purchased a dehumidifier to see if this will help with the damp

Sponsored Links
Would be cheaper to remove the grille and measure the wall thickness to see if it's cavity or not... also IF it's been filled you should be able to see the filling. Solid brick is usually 9" wide.

I suspect it's a solid brick wall, with no cavity, especially being from 1898. I'm in a 1900's and it's solid brick.

Would be cheaper to remove the grille and measure the wall thickness to see if it's cavity or not... also IF it's been filled you should be able to see the filling. Solid brick is usually 9" wide.

I suspect it's a solid brick wall, with no cavity, especially being from 1898. I'm in a 1900's and it's solid brick.
Thanks Mr Chibs that maybe a great shout removing the grill which is the cooker extractor vent.
I have read lots of advice over the last 3 days and it's baffling to be honest . Some websites say you need a damp proof doing some say not. Some say it's condensation Some say penetrative damp which you can paint with a breathable cream ( undecided about that tbh) to stop the rain getting into wall.
I think I will run the dehumidifier for a few days and see if that helps. Then I can take it from there. If anyone has any advice I would truly be grateful

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back