What can i do about this metal plate and rendering options ?

You simply drill the ties into the ends of the joists:
See here
Thats why I showed the diagrams, the joists were too skinny and not in a very good shape, with todays regs one cant get way with such, you will have to use an 8" by 2" or worse case 7" by 2" timber. The existing joists were not so strong to tie to. I couldn't trust the integrity hence why we went for the more complicated and expensive option. We do not intend to redo the work, if there are issues with the plates today, I had love to read about it.

Sponsored Links
I couldn't trust the integrity hence why we went for the more complicated and expensive option.
Thought you said it was, "a friend"? :unsure:

...if there are issues with the plates today...
The plates will do the job just fine - the issue is the difficulty of rendering over. There were multiple other options that may have been preferable.

Sistering the joists and Bow Tie-ing into the sistered joists would have been a much better option for a start.

Using traditional pattress plates and lining them up at equal centres would have been better and maybe then rendering over wouldn't have been necessary.

Or the render could have been terminated above with a bell bead and started again below.

Or the rendering could have been carried out first and then the traditional pattress plates installed.

As it is I think I'd go for external insulation and then render over that :idea:

Thought you said it was, "a friend"? :unsure:

The plates will do the job just fine - the issue is the difficulty of rendering over. There were multiple other options that may have been preferable.

Sistering the joists and Bow Tie-ing into the sistered joists would have been a much better option for a start.

Using traditional pattress plates and lining them up at equal centres would have been better and maybe then rendering over wouldn't have been necessary.

Or the render could have been terminated above with a bell bead and started again below.

Or the rendering could have been carried out first and then the traditional pattress plates installed.

As it is I think I'd go for external insulation and then render over that :idea:
Yes a family friend, but helping out to oversee what is being done and also introduced the engineer who did the calculations etc.
In hindsight as you said, adding an additional joist to the existing one might have been a neater way to do it. I thought about the idea of an external wall insulation, only issue i see is that the wall is bowed upstairs, quite bad 80mm out in the worst places. How will external wall insulation work there especially if one is trying to use thesame thickness across the board ?

I'd be inclined to replace the square plates with circular ones, you could then line all of the circular plates up. Then it I think it would (probably) look a bit neater (maybe knock it up on sketchup) even though the bolt heads won't all be in the centre of the pates. Is there any other reason you want to render it other than hide the plates?

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to replace the square plates with circular ones, you could then line all of the circular plates up. Then it I think it would (probably) look a bit neater (maybe knock it up on sketchup) even though the bolt heads won't all be in the centre of the pates. Is there any other reason you want to render it other than hide the plates?
Mate just doesnt like the look of plates in the front of the house, wants it all hidden at all costs. I guess the reason why the plates aren't so nice looking is because there was an expectation that External wall insulation will be applied, but nobody thought about the bowed wall. I noticed a few houses in the area have it installed, some end of terrace houses even had like 10 on the side elevation. The bricks are also in a very bad state (some of the ones in other parts of the house exposed to the elements, window cill brick designs have all crumbled for example, if you gave it a small punch, they had all crumble). The thinking was rendering would protect the brickwork and hold it all together.

Well just render the wall as normal and do a thicker horizontal render band that hides all the plates.

I would have just rebuilt the wall. Roof spread will probably be pushing the top half over as well.

I would have just rebuilt the wall. Roof spread will probably be pushing the top half over as well.
Honestly I really suggested that, then it turned out that if the wall was rebuilt it would also affect the next door in the terrace since they have thesame problem. Secondly we were told that there is a risk of damage to the next doors wall if the front elevation wall of this house was removed.

If roof spread is an issue, look at how the rafters are tied into the ceiling joists, and consider putting a couple of purlins in (or replacing the existing ones) to take the lateral load off the wall.

They're constantly being done near me (lots of ropey old terraces), takes a decent gang a week or two, no damage to neighbouring properties (generally the party walls restrain the two sides so they usually bulge in the middle). Obviously the engineer who recommended and designed all that lot wouldn't have got a penny.

I used to look after some very poor properties for a living and it got to the point where the total costs of some of these complex engineered repairs (which were often not expected to last the life of the building) were approaching the rebuild or replacement cost.

Anyway, too late now, but a bit of mesh and thicker band of render will sort it out.

They're constantly being done near me (lots of ropey old terraces), takes a decent gang a week or two, no damage to neighbouring properties (generally the party walls restrain the two sides so they usually bulge in the middle). Obviously the engineer who recommended and designed all that lot wouldn't have got a penny.

I used to look after some very poor properties for a living and it got to the point where the total costs of some of these complex engineered repairs (which were often not expected to last the life of the building) were approaching the rebuild or replacement cost.

Anyway, too late now, but a bit of mesh and thicker band of render will sort it out.
Good points raised here.
Not sure what you mean by the engineer who designed it wouldn't have got a penny.
The mesh you are referring to, is this the EML mesh or fibreglass mesh ?
The walls were so bad that the front elevation wall was detaching away from the part wall, one way to fix this would be as you mentioned which is to remove the wall completely, the issue however is when you wan to arrange the brick, ideally this would need to teeth into each other, partywall + front elevation wall, touching the party wall risks damage to next door. The way it was eventually designed was to use a fabricated steel plate, 300mm x 300mm angle plate 2m tall and bolted on the party wall + front elevation wall.

I know its the long winded way of doing things, but the last thing anyone wants is damaging someone else's house.

What about cladding the top and just render the bottom like this:
Trade_Fit_................jpg
Easy enough to loose those plates behind the timber underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back