What can I do and what can I not do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am wondering with the new regs and part P and ... , how much electric work I am allowed to do and what not to do.

I do have the 17th edition wiring regs certificate, but never actually did the PartP courses when they came into effect.

I will be looking to do lots of work to my property in the near future, and would like to know what i can do or can't do/

Is it worth going to one of those 5 day PartP courses to get the PartP certificate or do I not really need that as I already have 17th edition?

Also, do I need to be a memeber of NICEIC to be able to self certify my work?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You may do any work that you want.

However, some work is notifiable to the Local Authority (£200 to £400 fee) and they may not deem you competent so it may be cheaper to employ a registered electrician or third party inspector.
Assuming you are in England - Notifiable work is only New circuits, Replacement consumer units, and Additions and alterations to circuits in special locations (within the zones of bathrooms etc.)

All work should be certified (i.e. issue an electrical certificate) and anyone can do it.

Self-certification is a misnomer and does not relate to issuing the certificates.
It refers more correctly to "self-notification" meaning you don't have to notify the LA but inform a scheme provider (NICEIC and others).

The courses only get you what you already have (17th edition regs.). You do not get a Part P certificate (no such thing). Registering with a scheme is another £500 plus you need insurance and lots of paperwork and equipment - which you should have anyway when doing the work. It won't be worth it for one job.

ok, thanks for that.

In that case, can I do all the work, considering I am a 17th edition, and then get an electrician to certify the work and issue certificate? Does a registered electrician do that or do they like to do all the work themselves?

In my scenario:

I am adding an extension to the back of my property to be used as an extended bedroom. So I will be installing an additional socket and additional lamp to the existing room. I am also relocating the bathroom. In the bathroom I will be running a new cable to a new electric shower and also power to the mirror for the lights and shaver circuit.

I am fully aware of the limitations in the wetrooms and what can be done and can't be done. External switched fuses will be installed for the fan and shower outside the bathroom door and ... and all the guidelines per reference book and ... will be followed.

If i do all the work, do I then need to get someone else to certify it?

Looking at my inspectors ( independent) paper work requirements, it says: ( this is the inspector who will be inspecting the extension built and notifying the council).

Fees for Domestic Electrical Installations – in addition to the above fee(s) if the electrical contractor is unable
or unwilling to self certify the electrical installation under the auspice of a competent person certification
scheme and if a copy of a ‘Part P’ certificate’ is not provided, the following additional charges will
apply:
(a) £85.00 inc VAT - where the electrician is a member of a recognised trade body and can demonstrate
suitable qualification/experience.
(b) £85.00 inc VAT - where the electrician is not a member of a recognised trade body. In such cases the
client will need to employ an electrical consultant that is a member of a recognised trade body
demonstrating suitable qualification/experience to inspect 1
st
fix electrical and undertake testing on
completion of works and provide copies of appropriate installation/commissioning certificates.

What does this mean if celf certify doesn't mean providing paper work? I can provide copies of my 17th edition.

Any thoughts?

In that case, can I do all the work, considering I am a 17th edition, and then get an electrician to certify the work and issue certificate? Does a registered electrician do that or do they like to do all the work themselves?
No, you need a registered third party inspector.
Whatever you do, it must be before you start.

I am adding an extension to the back of my property
Will the electrical work therefore not be included in the building notice?

If i do all the work, do I then need to get someone else to certify it?
No, you need to get someone before you start. In effect, to supervise.

Looking at my inspectors ( independent) paper work requirements, it says: ( this is the inspector who will be inspecting the extension built and notifying the council).
It would appear that you have already notified the LA.
You need to find out if they deem you competent/skilled to do the work.

Sponsored Links
considering I am a 17th edition
With respect. Passing the 17th Edition qualification merely says that you can spell your own name and look things up in an index.
It is in no way a qualification of competence in electrical installation, or testing, at any level.

To convince your local authority oif this, they will need to see from you , at least, a certificate in Electrical Installation (2360 or whatever they call it nowadays). You are also going to need a full set of calibrated test equipment, so you can test the work and provide a certificate that the work complies with BS7671. I do not think you come even close to meeting that.

But, if you read the requirements above. You do not have the option of doing it yourself.

I suppose it would be worth asking Naz1977 whether (s)he has any relevant qualifications and/or experience other than the "17th Edition Certificate".

Kind Regards, John

Hi John

Yes, sorry I should have said,

I used to work for an electrician doing domestic installations, from complete re-wiring to simple socket installations and ... So I am fully aware of how to wire , extend, where to drill holes in the joists and ...

However I never used to do the testing as this was done by my supervisor who had the relevant PartP with certification ability if it makes sense? I only had the 17th edition. I used to run the cables, connect them all up and then he used to come along and do the impedance testing and a few other things.

However I moved from electrician work to IT consultancy work about 7 years ago.

I suppose it would be worth asking Naz1977 whether (s)he has any relevant qualifications and/or experience other than the "17th Edition Certificate".

Kind Regards, John
He ;)

So what are the thpoughts? Would an electrician be happy tom come and inspect my work and issue a certificate?

You need to find an electrician first who is prepared to do this.

Most registered electricians are only permitted to notify works they have done themselves. An installation certificate states that the electrician signing has designed, installed and tested the work themselves.

So you need to find either an electrician who is prepared to lie and sign their life away
or
Find an electrician first who may be prepared to let you do some of the grunt work, under their guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back