Regulations?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone can help me out, I am a electrician in the industrial sense, its been a few years sinse i did any major domestic installation other than my own and familys little jobs. However i am looking to get back into it. I am I have my 16th and C&G in inspecion and testing, what other certification to i need to get partP standardised?
I dont want to be another cowboy out there, theres plenty already, so i want to make sure i'm fully qualified before i get stuck in.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The quickest way I know of is the EAL Domestic Installer Level 2 Qualification. This can be done as a 5 day intensive course for somewhere between £700 and £800. You'll need to invest in Part P test kit - another £400 min - and then pay the £400 or so it costs to get accepted by 1 of the 5 competent person schemes (yes, believe it or not - the NIC aren't the only ones! :) ) Most schemes have a 4 to 5 week lead time for the assessment.

Even though it is advertised as such, the EAL course will not turn a layman into a ready made domestic spark but it does give a competent lec, like yourself, the knowledge of domestic supplies, part P and all the other Building Regs, needed to give an unassailable service to domestic customers.

TTFN

One other thing if anyone can help, once i've done the courses and passed and been accreditted etc. Is there an annual/or whenever, fee to remain part P registered like the corgi is for gas fitters.

Sponsored Links
To be able to self-certify that your work complies with the building regulations you need to join one of the organisations (NICEIC, Elecsa, NAPIT, etc...). There is an annual assessment and an annual membership fee. So, yes, you do keep paying. But membership is (or should be) about much more than just self-certifying.

Check out the websites - they're all listed in the 'New rules...' leaflet:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/4000000001323.html

I realise this, i'm just trying to put together a bit of cost analysis for a business plan, i realise it will be slow to start off going self employed but i'm hoping to build it round my existing job until i gain more work. I'm trying to work out overheads so could anyone give me an idea of the annual part p registration fees

ack351 said:
I'm trying to work out overheads so could anyone give me an idea of the annual part p registration fees

Didthathurt already did. Around the £400 mark. Call it a tenner a week.

But do some research and vist the websites of all the schemes to see what you get for your money. For instance, membership of one is likely to bring you work, whilst some scheme operators are practically unheard of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back