Loft Extension , minor works certificate?

A requirement to conform with BCO approval is the reason that you will often see a loft conversion with a weird escape hatch into a tiny, seemingly-pointless room or a landing etc. These are to satisfy the fire safety/escapability regs, which the inspector ensures have been conplied with.

You may also see some very old loft conversions with a doorway a few steps from the top of the stairs - this is because the regulations at the time stated simply a minimum distance from the top of the stairs to a door - they didn't say which direction!

If the neighbour's loft conversion has been done in recent years, then LABC should have been notified. The only reason not to would be if it was called a "loft" but was in fact a habitable room that was used to store junk at the top of the house... but that wouldn't be much of a conversion (thinking about the dodgy flat up in the attic in "Man About the House" now... :LOL: )

As to the original question... Minos 26 - I would suggest you contact your local authority's building control officers. They will inform you of the process you need to follow to make your work legitimate. You do need to inform them before you commence, mind. :!:

Sponsored Links
Hi Donk,

A far more polite and constructive response, thank you.

What do you know about 'permitted development rights'?
(genuine question, not bombastic, sarcastic, arrogant or flippant)

Apparently there was a change to the law, maybe autumn 2008?, which relaxed the law in respect to planning permission for certain projects. (PV installations being another example)

-The neighbours loft conversion was done this summer.(in fact, its still not completed internally, painting tiling etc to be done)
-They submitted an outline proposal to planning permission, with a question of 'does this fall within the criteria set out for PDR'
-They received a confirmation that the plan was indeed permitted and therefore planning permission was not required for the project.

I know this to be true, since about 4 years ago, i did exactly the same thing when i replaced my ropey old asbo garage for a 24ft concrete sectional one. As the position and size of the garage changed, i felt it prudent to investigate whether planning permission was required. I submitted an outline plan and subsequently received a letter from council confirming that planning permission was not required. That letter is now safely tucked away with the rest of the house documents for future reference. At no point has anyone from any council department inspected or asked any questions about my garage.

As i understand it, there are two kinds of planning application (my info comes from an actual conversation with my local BCO, not from a web site) A detailed plan or an outline plan.
Outline plans mainly submitted by regular building contractors who are expected to conform to building regs anyway, so requiring little intervention from BCO.
Detail plans, fully specified, submitted mainly by amateur builders/DIYer's
requiring greater intervention/inspection by BCO. ( presumably at a greater cost to the diyer)

It seems that the beardy git living next door has had his application for PDR accepted based on an outline plan. He tells me, that due to this, there is no requirement for him to seek approval from anyone for anything, as planning is not required.

He has in the past displayed the traits of an idiot, but in this instance i have no reason to disbelieve him.
He may be incorrect/ill advised etc. but that does not mean that i am accusing my neighbour of being a liar.
Some people would do well to learn how to make that differentiation!

Hi Donk,

A far more polite and constructive response, thank you.
What was impolite or non-constructive about these responses:
Planning permission has nothing to do with Building Regulations approval - different laws, different council departments, different rules governing when each is needed.

A loft conversion may well not need planning permission, but there is absolutely no way it can not need Building Regulations approval.
You may be correct,
I am - no question of it - there is a wealth of material out there explaining that the two things are completely separate. Here's one, for example: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315235153.html

It works the other way too - in some places you need planning permission to put up a satellite dish, but you wouldn't need building regs approval.

It is never a case of "both or neither".
?

What do you know about 'permitted development rights'?
(genuine question, not bombastic, sarcastic, arrogant or flippant)
What do you know about the difference between Planning Permission and Building Regulations approval?

What do you know about the difference between the Town and Country Planning Act and the Building Act?

Apparently there was a change to the law, maybe autumn 2008?, which relaxed the law in respect to planning permission for certain projects. (PV installations being another example)
That was a change to the requirements for planning permission, not to the requirements for Building Regulations approval.

Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are not the same thing. The fact that you may not need one has no bearing on whether you need the other, in either direction.

Have you bothered to read this: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315235153.html ?

-The neighbours loft conversion was done this summer.(in fact, its still not completed internally, painting tiling etc to be done)
-They submitted an outline proposal to planning permission, with a question of 'does this fall within the criteria set out for PDR'
-They received a confirmation that the plan was indeed permitted and therefore planning permission was not required for the project.
Why are you unable to understand that planning permission and Building Regulations approval are not the same thing?

Why do you refuse to accept the fact that not needing one has no bearing on whether you need the other, in either direction?

Have you bothered to read this: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315235153.html ?

I know this to be true, since about 4 years ago, i did exactly the same thing when i replaced my ropey old asbo garage for a 24ft concrete sectional one. As the position and size of the garage changed, i felt it prudent to investigate whether planning permission was required. I submitted an outline plan and subsequently received a letter from council confirming that planning permission was not required. That letter is now safely tucked away with the rest of the house documents for future reference.
Why are you unable to understand that planning permission and Building Regulations approval are not the same thing?

Why do you refuse to accept the fact that not needing one has no bearing on whether you need the other, in either direction?

At no point has anyone from any council department inspected or asked any questions about my garage.
Did you discuss it with any council department apart from Planning? Like Building Control, for example?

They are two different departments, concerned with two entirely different sets of legislation, and talking to one of them does not mean that you are also talking to the other one.

As i understand it, there are two kinds of planning application (my info comes from an actual conversation with my local BCO, not from a web site)
Why were you talking to a BCO about planning applications? Building Control does not deal with planning applications, they deal with Building Regulations applications. Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are not the same thing.

A detailed plan or an outline plan.
Those are terms which apply to applications for planning permission, which are nothing to do with the Building Control department, and are not dealt with by Building Control Officers. Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are not the same thing.

Outline plans mainly submitted by regular building contractors who are expected to conform to building regs anyway, so requiring little intervention from BCO.
Detail plans, fully specified, submitted mainly by amateur builders/DIYer's
requiring greater intervention/inspection by BCO. ( presumably at a greater cost to the diyer)
1) Outline Planning Permission just establishes the general principle that a particular type of development will be allowed, provided etc etc etc. It allows developers to proceed with more detailed plans knowing that it won't get thrown out because the planning department won't allow any houses to be built on that site, no matter how many/how big/what design. It allows land to be sold with the knowledge that providing they agree the details, the owner will be allowed to build a property on it. It does not allow any building work to start, but it may make the developer comfortable enough to begin site preparation.

2) Detailed Planning Permission is required before anybody can start building, it makes no difference whether they are a DIYer or Barratts.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...ssion&btnG=Search&meta=cr=countryUK|countryGB

Are you sure you weren't talking to the BCO about the difference between a Building Notice and Full Plans Submission for Building Regulations approval? Or that he thought that must be what you were talking about, given that Building Control does not deal with planning applications, they deal with Building Regulations applications?

Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are not the same thing.

It seems that the beardy git living next door has had his application for PDR accepted based on an outline plan. He tells me, that due to this, there is no requirement for him to seek approval from anyone for anything, as planning is not required.
He has had it confirmed that from a Planning Permission perspective he does not need to do anything because his loft conversion falls within his Permitted Development Rights.

He very much did need to seek approval from Building Control that the way in which he planned to do the loft conversion would comply with the Building Regulations, and he very much did need the work to be inspected at different stages to confirm that it actually was complying, and he very much does need a Completion Certificate to prove that it did.

PDR affect whether planning permission is required, they have nothing to do with whether Building Regulations approval is required.

Building Control does not deal with planning applications, they deal with Building Regulations applications. The planning department do not deal with Building Regulations applications, they deal with planning applications.

Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are not the same thing.

He has in the past displayed the traits of an idiot, but in this instance i have no reason to disbelieve him.
The problem is that neither of you seem to understand that Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are not the same thing.

How many times do you have to be told that they are not before the penny drops?

He may be incorrect/ill advised etc. but that does not mean that i am accusing my neighbour of being a liar.
Some people would do well to learn how to make that differentiation!
I have told you, over and over again, that Planning permission and Building Regulations approval are not the same thing.

I am clearly telling you this deliberately, and with the intent that you should believe me.

You are repeatedly saying that what I am telling you is not true.

So therefore you are repeatedly saying that I am deliberately telling you something untrue with the intent that you should believe me.

That's an accusation of lying.

Sponsored Links
Why should I not be upset at being called a liar? Particularly by an ignorant **** who revels in his ignorance and takes pleasure from making false accusations of lying?

Why have you not bothered to read this: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115315235153.html ?

Why do you think that it is funny to ignore facts put before you and to falsely accuse another person of lying?

Why do you think that it is funny to ignore facts put before you and to falsely accuse another person of lying?

You clearly do find it funny, because your consistent reaction is to laugh.

You clearly do find it funny, because your consistent reaction is to laugh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back