Loft Extension , minor works certificate?

So are we to take it then that you are such a stupid and ignorant **** that you really do find it funny to call people liars just because you refuse to look at the evidence of their truthfulness, and that when asked why you find it funny, and when asked to justify your refusal to look at the evidence all you can do is to laugh some more?

Sponsored Links
I feel that no matter how detailed any explaination i may give, a person like you will never, ever understand why i'm laughing.
Oh I understand, alright - it's because you are a stupid and ignorant **** who thinks it is amusing to falsely accuse others of lying.

A pointless task
A bit like trying to get the notion into your thick but empty head that there is a difference between planning permission and Building Regulations approval.

Sponsored Links
BAS,

i notice that you have a nice collection of groovy smilies.

Do you have one with a bigger smile on it?

:LOL:

OK, no doubt you are competent to do the work, probably more so than some as you have years of experience.

The rules are (summarising)

If you extend an existing circuit you can do this work yourself without notification.

The biggest change with respect to you in the 17th is the use of RCDs on ring circuits. Any electrician who comes in to do the job and who self certifies that the work complies with the 17th will have to protect this additional bit of the circuit with RCDs.

Now, if you do the work, you don't have by law to follow the 17th, you need to make sure your work is 'safe'. Arguably following the 16th is reasonably safe. Who knows....

There again, if you are doing all this work in the loft, then you might as well change your CU while you are at it, and bring it up to the 17th. This would be notifiable work.

If I was you, I'd just notify the council, get some test equipment from work, and do it all yourself, including putting a new CU in. If you want to get up to 17th edition and have then 16th then you can do a one day course which covers the differences. The 17th regulations exam itself should not be much of a problem, you could probably pass it without knowing what an RCD is. Alas.

Hi Chapeau,

sounds about right, but i wonder if the OP will bother to read it now?
It was a month or so ago when he asked, but (like some others) probably got bored part way through reading the responses

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back