What can I do with this cracked doorstep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My doorstep looks a bit cracked, the floor behind is a bit damp.
I'm wondering if I should fill the crack, if so with what ?
Also it looks like sandstone maybe ?
Should I seal it ,paint it or something to make it more weather proof ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20211227-213702_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20211227-213649_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20211227-213635_Photos.jpg

is there a drain, gulley or downpipe nearby?

I notice the brickwork has also moved and cracked.

Thanks, there was a collapsed drain maybe 2m away, which has been sorted now (hopefully that repair worked)

Sponsored Links
broken drains commonly make the ground around them subside, because they turn it to mud and wash it away.

for the brickwork to break and settle like that I would guess there is a significant cavity caused by a long-term leak.

I think someone is going to have to dig a hole and see what the damage is, how to fix it, and rebuild the wall and step.

You might find household insurance covers it as subsidence.

I'm surprised the people who dug up the drain and renewed it didn't notice anything. What does "sorted" mean?

I paid for a structural engineer who recommended a large hole was dug and filled with concrete in the area where we the drain had to leaked, 2 m away from this point.

I can usually see water under the floorboards, quite deep down though.
Not sure of that's rain water as it's a wet area anyway.

Is there some way I can check of there's a void under there myself as I don't want to take any chances with this kind of stuff ?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back